Unused electrical plug on my GT frame... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2006, 6:34 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Unused electrical plug on my GT frame...

I had the tupperware off my GT for some maintenance this week. I noticed a seemingly unused electrical plug mounted on top of the frame in the seat area. It is opposite on the frame where my electric seat heater plugs in, and just forward of the frame ID number plate. Just curious, but what is it there for?

Thanks in advance for all comments on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2006, 3:37 am
Addict

I think you've spotted the diagnostics socket where they plug in the proprietary BMW (which means 'you can't do it on a laptop') Moditec and ABS computer diagnostics kit. Useful for them to do and cheap if you're not sure your bike is healthy.

Don't try stuffing anything in there! Although, some aftermarket alarms pickup a permanent +12 volt from one of the wires.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2006, 10:23 am

BMW alarm system

If you are refering to the plug that is opposite of the taillight plug, then I believe this is for the BMW alarm system. I have tapped into that system to run some electrical components.

ONON-
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thickasabrick
I had the tupperware off my GT for some maintenance this week. I noticed a seemingly unused electrical plug mounted on top of the frame in the seat area. It is opposite on the frame where my electric seat heater plugs in, and just forward of the frame ID number plate. Just curious, but what is it there for?

Thanks in advance for all comments on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2006, 12:24 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
I think you've spotted the diagnostics socket where they plug in the proprietary BMW (which means 'you can't do it on a laptop') Moditec and ABS computer diagnostics kit.
While I was perusing the service manual yesterday I noticed one thing - the manual says that the Moditec has to be used in order to set the ignition timing. WTF is up with that? It's already bad enough that the Moditec isn't available for sale to the general public (as far as I can tell, and if it were, it would probably be expensive as all hell), and a basic setting like timing has to be set using something that we can't get our hands on??

Sheesh.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2006, 1:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnadero
While I was perusing the service manual yesterday I noticed one thing - the manual says that the Moditec has to be used in order to set the ignition timing. WTF is up with that? It's already bad enough that the Moditec isn't available for sale to the general public (as far as I can tell, and if it were, it would probably be expensive as all hell), and a basic setting like timing has to be set using something that we can't get our hands on??

Sheesh.
doubtful that a moditec is needed for this, but the timing should never need adjusting anyway, right? the hall effect sensor plate rotates to adjust the timing but getting a pickup on the #1
plug might be a bitch.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2006, 4:15 pm
Addict

It's an interesting learning curve watching a BMW tech. run through Moditec diagnostics on your bike and I recommend you be present if you can. I'm afraid when you own a bike with a computer ECU, some of the things you've taken for granted, are now only conveniently displayed on a pc screen. I say conveniently, because with some discrete test instruments you could probably arrive at something similar but with a lot of work.

I can now look at my O2 sensor and see the same display they do, but then their advantage is a big plug, an automated test procedure and you get a printout to boot. If you don't believe me, try working out if your Throttle Position Sensor is right or not - and that's responsible for your entire mixture range. They can see this on one simple screen in seconds, adjust it and get it right. The same is true of timing, as the hall effect sensor waveform is shown superimposed on the injection pulse cycles in real time with the bike running. Forget strobes and timing marks on these EFI engines. If you strip a bike and mess with this stuff, it's really far easier to just pay the 1/2 hour diagnostics charge afterwards. I think your VIN number and some other stuff is stored in the ECU chips memory as well. Handy to know in a stolen bike/disputed ownership scenario.

I've always moaned about manufacturers having intellectual property rights over their diagnostics as if they still owned your bike. Dealers have a right to moan to, when a proprietary 'Moditec' tester costs them thousands and bright software kiddy with the right protocol and interface information could do the same thing for a pc and post a program on the net just for the hell of it.

I read there has been some changes in EU law which forces car manufacturers to be open and standardise their diagnostics protocols and interfaces. You may be familiar with OBDII and you can buy 3rd party fault code scanners for your cage now., Especially GM vehicles.

Unfortunately,I read motorcycles weren't included as 'vehicles' in the EU directives - we didn't represent ourselves or shout loudly enough!

So there you have it, diagnostics should be something the bike rider owns, but really rents from BMW when they think they need it!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode