Oil in and around oil filter - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2019, 5:36 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Oil in and around oil filter

Okay so here is what happened I was changing the oil on a 93 K1100RS I undid the bolts to get to the oil filter When I undid the last bolt on the cover, oil poured out of that chamber that contains the filter. I did not drain well undo the drain plug first. Is this normal? For all of the oil to drain from there. If not is there something I need to do to relieve this. Is it an easy fix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2019, 11:04 pm

Yes it is normal. That's how the oil drains. Once you remove the plate you can change the filter. After cleaning everything and replacing or making sure the seal is good, carefully tighten the bolts in a criss cross order to assure you are getting an even seal.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2019, 7:25 pm Thread Starter
Noob

thanks man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2019, 7:39 pm
Noob

Of course drain the drain plug before you open up the cover for the access to the oil filter.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2019, 11:36 pm
Rookie

Hi JB. Oil around the filter is normal. Some videos out there showing an oil change on K1200LT where Kurt empties the oil using the filter cover just like you did. Later he says it is good to remove the drain plug and inspect for metal filings. That also is normal but lets you know things are wearing. Little filings normal, big chunks a time to sell.

Just clean the plug with a Qtip. Put her all back together and torque the drain and filter to spec.

oil drain plug torque two step 23Nm then 32Nm
oil filter torque 11Nm

Another tip on getting the filter out is to drill 3 holes in the filter removal tool. Use drywall screws in those holes to fasten the tool on the filter. Sometimes those removal caps slip. It destroys the old filter, but you are tossing it out anyway. Some filters have a 3/8 socket on the top built into the filter to make it easy but not very often found. Anyway, I thought the screw attachment was a good trick. Good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode