2003 k1200GT swingarm removal - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2019, 5:09 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Question 2003 k1200GT swingarm removal

I have the shock disconnected and the swingarm bearings removed and the book says I should be able to pull the swingarm straight back unless I might need to remove the front drive shaft... well pulling the swingarm straight back with the inside fender unbolted to give room and view, the swingarm is handing up on the nut holder for the battery tray. that nut accepts the bolt for the left rear passenger peg which I removed.. So even levering the ABS tray up as High as possible, I can't get the swing arm past it. Seems I would need to remove the muffler (which looks like one piece to the pipes bolted to the head), or perhaps that front driveshaft (but I'm not sure that's gonna give me the wiggle room) or unbolt the abs tray.

what is the process?? I'm following the BMW manual and the maqnual has some mistakes it seems a little sloppy. and it's a BMW manual, not a chilton manual​

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2019, 6:00 pm Thread Starter
Noob

loosened the exhaust

I lifted the abs tray witgh a ratchet strap and removed thje muffler hanger and loosened all the exaust flange studs to wiggle the muffler low enough to get the swing arm out. it will go faster next time (when I have to do the clutch slave cylinder), so what holds the fronty rubber boot to the transmission?? just push it on I guess it cant go anywhere..
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2019, 6:01 pm Thread Starter
Noob

no othetr posts or youtube videos

I didn't find anything else searching this forum nor youtube but the two you tubes I watched had a lot of cursing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2019, 10:15 am Thread Starter
Noob

seating the swinharm front boot on the transmission

I lubed the boot and the transmission lip with synthetic brake grease but after pushing the swingarm up against the trans and wiggling right and left the boot is not seating over the transmission lip flush with transmission to make a good seal. any hints?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2019, 8:56 am Thread Starter
Noob

wheres the love? floating rear paralever journal torq

Is this thing on? arm bmw riders helpful or do I sound like an ass? I have a mess of bikes and on several forums the enthuseists are always very helpful. I posted on BMWLT forum figuring that might be the better forum for my bike we will see.,

anyway, seems I was just tired that day because yesterday I hit it fresh and pushed the boot on with my finders and a screw driver. still seems like it should be easier.. and tightening the floating rear left journal to 7NM and locking to 100 (or whatever because I didn't use a torque wrench for that one), seemed like I might have overtightened the 7nM. riding last night it seemed a little "sticky" on and off the throttle (just a very brief ride around the block). Is there a tell taletale sign for this being over torqued?? It's not like the front where you can check mobility in the joint. might the temperature rise above the rest of the swingarm after a brief ride and before I melt it down??

Tags
k1200gt, swingarm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode