K1200 Slant Radiator Clean - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2019, 8:32 pm Thread Starter
Noob

K1200 Slant Radiator Clean

Had my GT heat up the other day and it started to stall out. Got off the freeway heat and parked for a few minutes and then it started up again fine and I went home. I checked the coolant level and and made sure the fans came on as expected. All Ok. I had cleaned the radiator when I had to resurrect the GT from a cam chain jump issue. Took the radiator off that time due to the extent of the work. This time I wanted to shorten the work and did some work.
I have a GT but this will work for a S/R/ or GT. S is a little less work due to the reduced tupperware and the R is easy. I took off the side panels, the belly pan. Loosened the radiator support strut between the block and the radiator to let the fan drop out. Took off the fan assembly. Have to remove the fan power plug on the right side of the engine to get the upper screw on the right side to remove the fan. The power plug is square so you have to twist it a little to get it out of the bracket. I had built a radiator cleaner jet that we used to use on the ranch that worked very well on the tractors. The tool is a a 1/4" copper tubing with a washer soldered on one end a hose connection on the other. The K bike radiator is alot more fragile so you have to be careful and not jam the radiator fins. I just hooked the tool up to my house hose and it provides enough pressure with the tool to do a pretty good job to clean the radiator. I also cleaned out my oil cooler radiator as well at the same time. Picts below showing room to clean the radiator. I did it from the left side mainly as the right side is more cluttered.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3307.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	24805   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3308.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	24807   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3310.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	24809   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3314.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	24811   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3316.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	24813  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3322.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	24815   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3318.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	24817  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2019, 5:15 pm
Enthusiast

Nicely done! I had a similar experience 3 years ago and ended up replacing the radiator as it refused to clean out. Very expensive little rascal.

Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode