BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

K100 electrical gremlin

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  maxfnz 
#1 ·
I have an issue with my 1989 K100. Bike was running perfect until a few days ago. Riding on highway and throttle stopped unexpectedly and then kicked back in.
Did this a number of times until it finally quit altogether. Got the bike home and I fear I have a ground issue somewhere. I noticed the fuel pump wasn't running when hitting the starter. Tried picking up the tank and as soon as there was movement the fuel pump kicked in. When moved again it kicked out. I fear the tank itself is acting as a ground to the frame. I am thinking this is due to a faulty fuel sending unit as the connector seems to be making good contact underneath the tank. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Old thread, but my '85 K100RS would occasionally quit at inopportune moments, such as entering the freeway. It drove me nuts until I accidentally discovered that although the main ground wire from battery negative to trans case LOOKED good, there was sufficient corrosion between the wire strands and the crimped connector at the trans side, that it went discontinuous occasionally. Replaced the wire and alles gut!

It's a known problem on K100 bikes, although they are getting a bit scarce, so the knowledge is dying out.

#3 ·
Had same with my original K-RT ... on long trip, all OK. Stop for break, ign on & all looking normal - start & all goes out ... & relatively new (BMW!) battery. Can't remember how I swa it - think I was rechecking the battery terminal bolts - but found copper rust in crimp where earth cable went down to gearbox. Wiggled & everything behaving & starting again.

After this ALWAYS added extra earths onto all my Ks (except the K1200 which has it by default finally) - extra earth leads from the battery to all the high current users - starter, alt, frame earth ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.