Hmmm, where do these go? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 9:54 am Thread Starter

Question Hmmm, where do these go?

Finally got the k12rs back together after a fairly comprehensive tear-down, and was pleasantly surprised to find only a handful of parts left over.

5 karma points to the first person to identify these bits:

The bushing is metal and _may_ not have even come from the bike (found it on the shop floor).

The screws are Torx which is odd because almost all screws on the k12 are hex head.

I lost track of these little pieces somewhere between this:

And this:

TIA,

Jackhole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 2:15 pm
Veteran

brake pad clips?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 4:02 pm
Enthusiast

a few things

#1. The bike looks great.. When you get a chance, more pics please, and I'm not just brownosin' for #3.. Uniquely done and with quality care I'll wager

#2 You have been far more hhhmmmmm.. intimate with you K12 than I have with mine.
No idea what those parts are.

#3 Since you been so intimate, could you please check my thread over in the forum regarding these bikes ? Titled " Anyone ever fix..." and give you thoughts.. you've had your hands on the stuff I'm curious about. ie: starter, alternator and related parts

DMilan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 7:26 pm
Veteran

as for the black thing in the pic...looks like a" rubber baby buggy bumper" retaining screw...(.for a lack of the correct term)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 7:54 pm

The question is, who the heck has torn their bike down as far as you have and is therefore qualified to id the parts!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 8:49 pm
JMc

Talking

looks like three screws, one bushing, and two clips...does that count as identifying them and get me the points...as for what they actually do...hell if I know

JMc
1998 K1200RS "Taxi"
[email protected]
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2006, 5:08 am
Addict

Even experienced wrenchers can have parts left over. But there's a golden rule:

If bolts have machined threads, often fine, look high tensile (black), with possible traces of Loctite and are covered in oil - you left out something pretty important internally like the con rod bolts!

Those fittings (apart from the plastic thing) are plated to look pretty so my guess is they are less important, holding or fixing a panel or plastic externally. One day you will take something off or get a vibration and realise what those bits may be for.

The first time a dealer took my plastics off they left out screws, so you are not alone.

Now I must go play with a contact microphone I just bought and do some fft analysis on audio recordings from my rear drive!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2006, 6:28 am
Addict

leftovers

I did that to my K several years ago when I put in a short block, so I'll take a stab.
Since the screws are fiber washered, I would guess radiator or oil cooler mount screws or parts from the tail piece because of the chrome color. The clips might be from the air filter box. The bushing however, now that's a tough one; maybe one of your tranny, swingarm, engine mounts?? How big a inside diameter is it?
This would drive me CRAZY!!
Good luck.

"Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the courtesy to thank her." W.C.F.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2006, 12:43 am

Jackhole,
The black rubber thing could be for the 'peg' that the rear side panels slip on to before you screw it in place. The panel will still go on obviously, but may rattle. Maybe? Those clips may be the ones that hold the relays (or be near the relays) in front of the battery and behind the tank after you remove the seat. Curious.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2006, 9:30 am

Those clips look very similar to the ones that hold the headlight bucket assy together. Dunno about the torx screws, but suspect side panel screws around the front. The bushing looks like the ones used by the rear tank mounts but its too small.

What was the reason for the rebuild? blown motor? IMWTK

hth!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode