BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

K1200rs overheating and losing oil

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  H96669 
#1 ·
I bought this bike last year and have done little maintenance till now so pulled the tranny, greased the clutch splines and all the other splines etc and changed all the fluids including the antifreeze and engine oil. After driving 60 kms in heavy stop and go traffic I parked the bike and later noticed no oil showing in the sight glass. Okay maybe I (not!) forgot to run the engine and refill for the capacity of the filter so I added oil to top up. No evidence of oil on the garage floor, exhaust or back of the bike.

I had been noticing the fan coming on a lot this summer and the engine seemingly running hotter.

This bike has run well and never heated up before.
At highway speeds until recently it has run below the mark on the temp guage but now runs way above the mark all the time. I checked the coolant level and it was okay at the rad cap with no build in the overflow bottle.

How do you check the water/oil pump for circulating water? Is there a seal that could transfer oil into the water compartment? I over "anal"yze but would rather ask if there is a common problem in these K1200 bikes.
thanks
brickbike:smile_big
ps I also changed the fork seals, regapped the plugs and torqued down all teh bolts to bmw specs.

See less See more
#2 ·
Most if not all the "overheating posts" I have seen in the last 11yrs were solved by cleaning the radiators fins.Cleaning as in remove the rads and clean of all debris be they road tar,sand and of course bugs.And some of the fins may be bent and will need straightening.That cleaning/inspection in my opinion cannot be done with rads in place.

However first thing I'd do is to make sure both fans run,not just one.Fans not fan!!!!

And with R/H radiator on the bench, pull the thermostat and check for broken plastic prongs that will impede the thermostat from fully opening(or closing) thus impeding coolant circulation.

Reactions: sailor
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.