rear brake opps! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2005, 11:25 am Thread Starter

Red face rear brake opps!

I ran down one of my rear brake pads... I thought I had more millage left on them, I was wrong. The rotar doesn't seem to be terrible damage, only tiny dings and scraps left behind. This shouldn't cause much of a problem after a couple hundred miles. The good thing, the same day my new pads appeared in the mail.

Has anyone ran down their rear pads to the metal? Any possible problems with the rotars? BMW mechs mentioned the rotars are unturnable and need to be replaced if damaged.

ONON-
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rearpads101105.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	286.5 KB
ID:	117  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2005, 11:38 am
Throttle Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathogen7
Has anyone ran down their rear pads to the metal?
I've never done that, but if the rotor isn't scored badly and it didn't warp from overheating, you can still use it. Take some fine emery cloth and sand down any rough areas on the disk, clean up with disc brake cleaner and reassemble with the new pads.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2005, 1:09 pm

Curious, how many miles did you have on those pads? I am close to rolling 12k, and be honest I have not checked my pads yet personally. I know everyone has different styles, but wonder on the average what people are getting on pads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2005, 1:43 pm
ROB
We're zoned for what ? cool !

On a K75, yes

I did it on the rear of my 1990 K75S. Actually the pad part separated from the base on the outside (left ) pad. It made a godawful noise, and scored the rotor in about 20 feet. I didn't turn the rotor, but did rub off some of the rougher edges of the scoring, with first a file, and then an emery stone. The new pads took care of the rest of it. I don't use the rear that much anyway (the pad went away at about 75,000 miles, and it was the one that came with the bike).
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2005, 2:23 pm

Andy,

The rear pads seem to wear MUCH faster than the front. I replaced my first set of rears at 13k and they were fully shot (not to the metal, but not far off). It's easy to check what you have left, simply remove the plastic dust cover and you can get a decent view of what's left.

Matt

2007 BMW K1200S
2002 BMW K1200RS
2000 Honda VFR

If ignorance is bliss, why are there not more happy people?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2005, 3:09 pm Thread Starter

To answer how many miles I had on these pads, about 12k, but I took a 7k cross country trip, which should count for much. My first couple sets ran down in about 6-8k miles. The rears wear down fast due to the integrated/servo braking system.

ONON-
Mark
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2005, 3:35 pm

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathogen7
To answer how many miles I had on these pads, about 12k, but I took a 7k cross country trip, which should count for much. My first couple sets ran down in about 6-8k miles. The rears wear down fast due to the integrated/servo braking system.

ONON-
Mark
Plus, you only got one on the back.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2005, 7:57 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy45320
Curious, how many miles did you have on those pads? I am close to rolling 12k, and be honest I have not checked my pads yet personally. I know everyone has different styles, but wonder on the average what people are getting on pads.
You might be about due, if you have the ABS III (aka EVO) on the bike. I get about 12k and the service folks say "Time for a change", plus I've heard that as a general concensus. Fronts...man, those are a different story. Still got pad left, and over 55k miles on the originals.
Then, too, I've got a Subaru Outback (easy folks...I'm one of the few renegade Subaru drivers. Don't lump me into the "They're almost Volvo drivers!" catagory) that got the rear pads changed at 80k. Manual transmission, and I'm a firm believer in engine braking. Front pads still have miles left on them...Just wish I could get the same tire mileage (93k miles) for the bike.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2005, 5:39 pm
Addict

i bought my 98 RS with 6200 miles on it and the rear pads almost to the metal. New pads and at 17,000 miles i hit the rotor. it was scored and when I checked, it had over .060 run out. 297 bucks later I have a new rotor. and for 20 bucks more I have a clock. sheesh,, 17,000 miles and the 3rd set of pads.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 430.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	126  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2005, 6:41 am
Addict

jimmm - spot on! If you don't check the run out and scoring on a rotor, replacing pads is a waste of time to expect high mileage. At the mo. I reckon 8K on my '97 non ABS. For anybody else, only one rotor on the rear and very little friction material when new means lots of wear if you use the rears.

Heres' a tip I used on thicker cage pads: Drill a small hole on the edge of the pad and insert a fine ptfe insulated wire. There's your leadout for a pad wear warning device ( shorts to ground when worn). On these thin pads you might need to think about a groove sealed with a (very) high temp filler.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode