Cleaning the Windshield - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2006, 6:43 pm Thread Starter

Cleaning the Windshield

What do most of you use to clean your windshields? Especially to get the bugs off. The windshield on the new GT looks like it could scratch and turn yellow very easy. I'm sure using windex is the worse possible thing to do!!

Thanks,
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2006, 8:43 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Plexus

You're right that Windex is absolutely the wrong thing to use. Apparently, the stuff in most window cleaners attacks the plexiglass and makes it less clear. And there's no fix.

Also, don't use paper towels. I've also been told to never use any kind of cloth except miracle fiber wash cloths. I didn't use to believe that, and in the past I've used old T-shirts, terry cloth towels, and anything else I found as long as it was clean. After totally screwing up more windshields than I can remember, I guess I'm a believer. CLEAN miracle fiber cloth is the hot set up, in my view.

I use Plexus for the windscreen and for my helmet visor. For bugs, I spray it on thick and let it sit a minute or two to soften them up, then work on them gently.

I've also been told to wipe vertically only, so that the scratches you will inevitably cause, will blend in with the normal curve of the windshield.

No doubt there will be some real experts out there who will chime in with four or five step processes...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2006, 11:05 pm
Addict

I am no Real expert or even and expert.

When washing the bike I use a towel as big as the windshield and soak it with washing soap and just let it lay on the shield while I am washing the bike.
That softens up the little gritters and they wash off.

When the shield gets scratches I use a pollishing buffer with 3M glazing compound. Then I wax it.

That works for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2006, 6:44 am Thread Starter

Thanks guys,

I'll see if I can dig up some micro fiber cloths.

Rob
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2006, 6:57 am
Enthusiast

Lots of water and soap.

When I'm washing the bike, I spray the shield with lots of water and let it soak. I then will use a soft mitt with lots of soap and scrub gently. As far as cleaning the shield only in between bike washings, a wet towel and sponge with soap works well. I also use Novus brand plastic polish to get rid of any small scratches that occur. There are two different bottles I use and I can't remember the names but the labels are blue and red respectively. When I bought my bike a couple of months ago the shield was in less than stellar shape and this stuff made it look new.

'03 K1200GT

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2006, 11:34 am

plexus

I use either plexus or honda spray cleaner.

ONON-
Mark
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2006, 4:48 pm
JMc

Put some Hydrogen Peroxide in a spray bottle...soak bugs and then wash with soap and water. Bugs are protein, which Hydrogen Peroxide does not like...
No problems with shield or paint...but I don't let it set for too long.

JMc
1998 K1200RS "Taxi"
[email protected]
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2006, 8:32 pm
Just saying hey

Talking

I've used this process on military aircraft. my own aircraft (1947 Stinson), and my 03 GT. The plexiglass windscreens stay looking like new. Wet down the screen with water to remove dirt particles and Big bugs Then use the palm of your hand to remove the bugs. Don't rub hard as you'll scratch the surface. A continuos stream of water from a wet rag helps remove the bug guts and then followed by a good flush. I then let it air dry. Next the magic formula, Pledge furniture polish in spray can. I shoot the windscreen and then use a soft cloth in a vertical stroke to polish windscreen. The windscreen comes out shining, the bugs don't stick as easy, and you'll love the lemon or orange smell. I also use this on my helmet visor.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2006, 10:52 pm
Addict

a320drvr:
You actually want to fly in a plane that is as old as I am?

Your NUTS!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2006, 11:45 pm
Rookie

Windshield cleaning

Get microfiber towels from Lee Parks Design .com.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode