Valve Stem Failure - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2006, 9:43 pm Thread Starter

Angry Valve Stem Failure

All the air came out of my tire strait through the valve stem. LD gave me a new core but the air still won't stay in. It doesn't have to have special air does it? I 'm afraid to ride it with flat front tire. Help me fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2006, 11:01 pm
Addict

valve stem

..............If a new core didn't cure it.....time to take the tire off and replace with a new one....rubber may have been flexed over too far or dry rotted.....very little info but that is what it sounds like to me from what you said...good luck to you................

It's standard practice in UK for tire dealers to replace the complete valve stem each tire change. However, on bikes if they meet something unusual they don't keep in stock, they will often leave it alone. Not sure if the KRS valve is something special or not, most other things are!

Last edited by voxmagna; Jun 15th, 2006 at 4:19 am.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2006, 7:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thickasabrick
It's standard practice in UK for tire dealers to replace the complete valve stem each tire change. However, on bikes if they meet something unusual they don't keep in stock, they will often leave it alone. Not sure if the KRS valve is something special or not, most other things are!
That's a good idea. A friend of mine had the complete valve blow away from the external rubber part on a road trip a couple months ago. Took him half a day to get back on the road again.
I'm going to change mine out with the metal 90 degree type that the Ducati's use on the Superbikes. They're a lot easiler to get to when checking the tire pressures anyway.

Jerry
K1200RS
Ducati 996
KLR 250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2006, 9:41 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWorDuc
That's a good idea. A friend of mine had the complete valve blow away from the external rubber part on a road trip a couple months ago. Took him half a day to get back on the road again.
I'm going to change mine out with the metal 90 degree type that the Ducati's use on the Superbikes. They're a lot easiler to get to when checking the tire pressures anyway.
My tire dealer put those on my Kawa after a tire change without even asking. I read mixed opinions about them, but as you say, they sure make checking tire pressures easier.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2006, 10:27 am Thread Starter

I am dodging bullets

Looks like the stem is what failed. I didn't know they could do that. It's really scary as I had just finished a 700 mile ride around the state of colorado with some brisk canyon riding. I got home on Tuesday afternoon and pulled the bike into the garage and went into the house. I spent what appeared to be only a few minutes in the house then returned to the garage to unpack the bike. I was stunned to see a flat tire. I just stood there staring at the tire while all the images of the canyons I had just been in flashed in my head. Foothills BMW said they would fix it and not charge me for the labor.

Last week I rode my bicycle up flagstaff mountain here in Boulder. It climbs over 1000 vertical in only a few miles and I always zoom back down the thing with heavy breaking taking place. I got to the bottom and stopped to wait on my friend. I noticed that the bike would not move freely while standing there. I looked down to inspect the brakes and notice that the tire bead had come off the rim in one place and the tube was growing out the side. As I reached down to open the valve...Pow the tube just burst from it's own pressure. The only thing I can think of is I heated up the rim under heavy braking and the tire slipped of the rim.

I think I might take up Bingo for the rest of the summer
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2006, 12:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWorDuc

DO NOT put a 90 degree valve stem on your bike, with the centrifugal forces you are
asking for a problem that will happen AT THE WORST POSSIBLE TIME. It is
a documented problem, ditto for valve stem caps that read tire psi.

That said, I do carry a brass 90 degree in my tool kit for trips.

hth!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2006, 1:16 pm
Addict

I thought the centrifugal force was worse for straight stems? Isn't it inwards towards the wheel spindle, normal to the rim circumference, always tugging away at the valve on a straight stem and unscrewing it? Aren't these new angled stems all steel with silicon rubber clamp seals, whereas the oems are bendy perishable rubber? I read there was an issue with the 90 degree adaptors, but I hadn't heard this said of the 90 degree replacement fitted into the rim with the tire change.

With a horizontal stem, which direction is the centrifugal force? I failed high school mechanics!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2006, 2:11 pm
Veteran

towards the rim i would think and pointing in opposite of rotation?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2006, 4:45 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Fixed

Kevin at Foothills BMW (Denver) is a good service manager. He removed the tire and put in a new stem and charged me 5 buck. I ask him about after market stems and he recommended stock. This is not the first time he has done me right.

Joe
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2006, 6:59 am
Addict

I can't figure why a BMW service shop would fit anything other than a replacement oem part, that's more likely what they would keep anyway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode