Windshield noise experiemts - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 11:47 am Thread Starter

Windshield noise experiemts

I recently bought a Shulmer C2 helmet, and noticed quite a bit of wind turbulance noise with my 4+Cee Baily windshield. I am 6'1". I modified it to rais it up 2 more inches and that helped a little, but looks goofy. Last night I tried the stock screen but it also generated quite a bit of wind noise. However at 80-100 mph I stood up in clean air and all got quieter!. Tonight I am going to cut down the CeeBaily to a curve just above the mounting brackets and give it a shot. I also ordered a laminar lip for the stock screen to try. Just thought some folks would be interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 3:02 pm
Addict

The lip does help.....comfort screen creates a ton of wind roar. Others, I think, have cut down or used shorter screens with success.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 3:14 pm
Riding in company

While you're experimenting, try riding without any screen at all. It's my favorite of everything I've tried. At least for the summer. I'm interested in cutting a screen down to the minimum...just enough to clear the mounts. Let us know how it works.

BillA
Jersey Shore
K1200RS '04
BSA Victor '68ish
Club Car golf cart '92
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 3:21 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhdjh
I recently bought a Shulmer C2 helmet.

You mean a Shuberth C2? I thought a Shulmer was a hummer in the shower ;-)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 8:46 pm Thread Starter

Windshield noise update

Update: Tonight I cut down my CeeBailey even with the faring. Not much change in noise. Removed windshield, but still had about the same amount of noise, but more wind on lower stomach area. However, I did notice that with the chopped windshield, when running around 80 mph, I seemed neutrally balanced on my wrist. If the laminar lip does not do much, I expect I will just use the stock shield w/ ear plugs. I already have some tinnitus from shooting guns, so I need to use some prevention anyway.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2006, 7:26 am Thread Starter

Noise

Update: I received my laminar lip today and installed it on the stock gt screen with the lip about 1 inch above the top of screen. This gives the best improvement is noise reduction.
I am 6'1" and by moving up and down I can tell that another 2 inches of height on the screen would give more improvements. This is fine for now, but If I happen to find a used tall screen, I will give it a shot.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2006, 9:13 pm Thread Starter

Update

I made some 2 inch risers for the stock screen from alum bar stock. They fit in perpendicular to the mounting arms. This along with the laminar lip gives the best reduction in roar, noise and buffeting. With this setup, I do not need ear plugs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode