Which fuel line clamps do I need? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2006, 3:41 pm Thread Starter

Which fuel line clamps do I need?

I am trying to make sense of which clamps I will need to replace/renew for my 24k service/fuel filter replacement. I see many mentions of replacing clamps during filter change and failures of the recalled quick-connect clamps. Mine is a later model 2004 GT. I have also seen mention of using Omega or Otiker(sp?) clamps, but nothing on what sizes/model #/how many I should get. A long-term reusable clamp would be worth the bucks if they last. Is picking up stainless steel screw clamps from hardware/auto stores an option here?

I have never had the tank off the beast yet, so I am flying blind as the fiche and the manual. I already know I will need get a new gasket, some type of spanner/soft-strap and a fuel filter. Anything else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2006, 4:35 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy45320
I am trying to make sense of which clamps I will need to replace/renew for my 24k service/fuel filter replacement. I see many mentions of replacing clamps during filter change and failures of the recalled quick-connect clamps. Mine is a later model 2004 GT. I have also seen mention of using Omega or Otiker(sp?) clamps, but nothing on what sizes/model #/how many I should get. A long-term reusable clamp would be worth the bucks if they last. Is picking up stainless steel screw clamps from hardware/auto stores an option here?

I have never had the tank off the beast yet, so I am flying blind as the fiche and the manual. I already know I will need get a new gasket, some type of spanner/soft-strap and a fuel filter. Anything else?
Andy
I used part# 13 31 1 460 928 this is the screw-type fuel filter clamp that is used on the early '85-? K-bikes. It is 13mm. dia.
I figure it's the same filter and pump. So it should be good.

I used one of those cheapo rubber strap wrenches from Harbor Freight. The ring came off easily.

The vent hose clamps un-snap and are re-useable. You can use Otiker pliers or dikes and a small screwdriver to un-snap them. Mark the hoses so you don't mix them up.

If you can, try to mark a reference line locating the pump-tank relationship. You will find that the pump can rotate left or right which can put a strain on the quick disconnects when re-connecting them.

When I reassembled the pump into the tank, I found that putting a VERY thin film of moly60 grease on the ring to pump mating surface will keep the pump from trying to turn with the ring as you tighten it.

ps. Do me a favor please. When you take out the filter, flush some gas through it. Mine was very dirty and the gas came out black like sewer water. I am trying to figure if its me or the 10% ethanol gas eating the fuel lines.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2006, 10:46 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy45320
I am trying to make sense of which clamps I will need to replace/renew for my 24k service/fuel filter replacement. I see many mentions of replacing clamps during filter change and failures of the recalled quick-connect clamps. Mine is a later model 2004 GT.
If you want to go the factory route with Oetiker clamps, the clamps that would be used to reclamp the quick-disconnects (BMW part# 16121176918) are the same ones used to clamp the fuel filter in place. Tool-wise, pliers for ear-type CV boot clamps should work nicely (Lisle 30800 or equivalent).

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2006, 5:57 pm

omega

If youare referencing Omega. You probably might recall these parts as a possible stainless steel alternative for the plastic fuel quick disconnects that are prone to breaking.

There has been a couple threads regarding these disconnects. I installed them on my bike and they work really well. Just remember to change the orings. The ones provided from Omega can not handle fuels and leaked. Just use the orings from the BMW plastic disconnects that you just swapped out.

ONON-
Mark
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2006, 9:21 pm
Enthusiast

Talking Woosh

Hey Andy,

Remember no open flame.

Wow I didn't know BMW made motorcycles, Yeah I think Honda does too.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2006, 4:48 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucecha
Andy
I used part# 13 31 1 460 928 this is the screw-type fuel filter clamp that is used on the early '85-? K-bikes. It is 13mm. dia.
I figure it's the same filter and pump. So it should be good.

I used one of those cheapo rubber strap wrenches from Harbor Freight. The ring came off easily.

The vent hose clamps un-snap and are re-useable. You can use Otiker pliers or dikes and a small screwdriver to un-snap them. Mark the hoses so you don't mix them up.

If you can, try to mark a reference line locating the pump-tank relationship. You will find that the pump can rotate left or right which can put a strain on the quick disconnects when re-connecting them.

When I reassembled the pump into the tank, I found that putting a VERY thin film of moly60 grease on the ring to pump mating surface will keep the pump from trying to turn with the ring as you tighten it.

ps. Do me a favor please. When you take out the filter, flush some gas through it. Mine was very dirty and the gas came out black like sewer water. I am trying to figure if its me or the 10% ethanol gas eating the fuel lines.
andy....just did my fuel filter....came out black..cut open the filter and there was a black film on the paper.....in this heat the gas i have been getting seems to realy suck!.....maybe just me but that meth crap is my guess...have a great day ..meth lab.....mmmm
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2006, 8:26 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK04GT
andy....just did my fuel filter....came out black..cut open the filter and there was a black film on the paper.....in this heat the gas i have been getting seems to realy suck!.....maybe just me but that meth crap is my guess...have a great day ..meth lab.....mmmm
You are not alone! I cut my filter open after changing(at 23,500mi.) and the fuel dumped out black.
This (stuff?) was able to pass through the filter media and flowed black in the direction of fuel flow. I am going to change the filter again in 6,000mi. and see what it looks like.
When I showed the filter paper to the dealer tech, I got a non-committal answer. Like "no-one else has had this" or "ethanol doesn't bother the fuel lines". I think there maybe might be a fuel pump break-in lube installed at the factory and will clean out with a couple of filter changes?. The bike runs well considering that this black gunk is circulating in the injector circuit and not clogging them up.
Someone on another post mentioned that his bike ran better when he changed the filter. I agree with that, mine did for about 500mi. them the mid-range roll-on dropped back to where it was pre-filter change. Which indicates to me that the new filter is getting dirty.
And related to an increase in power with changing the fuel filter, I think a new,clean fuel filter allows a higher fuel pressure which in turn makes a better injector spray pattern. Consequently more power and higher mileage.
Sorry about the long-winded post.

Bruce C
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 12:51 pm

interesting observation

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucecha
You are not alone! I cut my filter open after changing(at 23,500mi.) and the fuel dumped out black.
This (stuff?) was able to pass through the filter media and flowed black in the direction of fuel flow. I am going to change the filter again in 6,000mi. and see what it looks like.
This is interesting, since CA uses MTBE in there fuel blends, not ethanol. Plus ethanol is less damaging compared to petrol. I wonder if there is a problem in the fuel pump/fuel lines. Makes me wonder if the smegma is coming from the fuel or the bike? My first guess would be from the fuel. Is anyone interested in doing a chemical analysis to determine what comprises this gunk.

ONON-
Mark
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 4:24 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathogen7
This is interesting, since CA uses MTBE in there fuel blends, not ethanol. Plus ethanol is less damaging compared to petrol. I wonder if there is a problem in the fuel pump/fuel lines. Makes me wonder if the smegma is coming from the fuel or the bike? My first guess would be from the fuel. Is anyone interested in doing a chemical analysis to determine what comprises this gunk.

ONON-
Mark
Mark
Shell premium has been using ethanol for over 1 year. That is the fuel of my choice.
I still have the old filter element if anyone would like to analyze what is in it.
bruce C

Bruce C
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2006, 1:45 pm
Addict

Black stuff can come from the fuel hoses, scrape one around on the inside with a sharp scalpel blade to see it. I saw a similar thing with brake hoses before replacing mine.

My new brake hoses are now ptfe lined, inert and more rigid than silicon. If you loook at fuel lines on cages now, they use the equally stiff heat shrinkable material. But we need flexibility where our hoses are routed.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode