K12RS - Fork seal question... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2006, 11:20 am Thread Starter

K12RS - Fork seal question...

I noticed my right front fork was oozing oil -- I just had the bike in for the 12K service -- not sure if they do any maintenance on the forks.

Is there a way I can test/check myself if this was just a matter of excess oil coming out -- or if I blew a fork seal?

I'm not having any noticable change in handling -- however, the oil started to come out when I was loaded up with my gear for the Paonia rally -- so I wonder if the extra weight caused a seal failure?

I cranked up the preload on my front spring and since then no more oil has come out - but I'm not sure if that means the fork has expelled all the oil or what?

Suggestions? I'd like to avoid bringing the bike into the shop if there's a relatively simple check I can do myself.

Howard

When I'm not rockin' @ radio.wazee I'm screamin' around Denver on my 2003 K1200RS!

Click here to view my photo gallery of bike pics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2006, 12:22 pm

On the 12k check, the answer is no they do not.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2006, 3:11 pm
Veteran

the oil is there just for lube...no suspention ..but should put in a new seal....i forget how to check the oil level?...but its just a telescopic tube ...good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2006, 3:41 pm
Veteran

seal

Probably the right side, here it would be left. Pretty easy repair job, the book is a bit over the top on it. It wont get any better, put it down for a winter job.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2006, 11:46 pm
Rookie

Check for other threads on how to replace - you can save a lot of time/grief over the manual's approach. Half a liter of fork oil to replace, but it isn't critical, there's literally nothing inside there.

KeS
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2006, 1:25 pm
Addict

I tried saying that to my UK MOT tester, who quoted me stuff on suspension, shock absorbers, oil leaks, blay ..blah..

So I did the seals just to keep them happy and the bike looking clean.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2006, 1:06 pm
JMc

Very easy fix (2-man job)...drain old oil out through the bottom tube and tighten back up...then, remove grip assembly...loosen tree clamps, remove fork cap, then slide the tube up through the tree. Use a seal puller (carefully) to pull seal. Replace with new one (make sure you check the old seal to properly insert the new one). Put 1/2 liter of fork oil, button it all up, and away you go. Better instructions somewhere on the network, goodluck.
JMc

JMc
1998 K1200RS "Taxi"
[email protected]
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2006, 3:32 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMc
Very easy fix (2-man job)...drain old oil out through the bottom tube and tighten back up...then, remove grip assembly...loosen tree clamps, remove fork cap, then slide the tube up through the tree. Use a seal puller (carefully) to pull seal. Replace with new one (make sure you check the old seal to properly insert the new one). Put 1/2 liter of fork oil, button it all up, and away you go. Better instructions somewhere on the network, goodluck.
JMc
JMc where is the drain plug in the bottom tube....went out to check but couldnt find it....any help?...thanks want to do mine just to get any condensation or leak by out of there...again thanks
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2006, 7:04 pm
Enthusiast

You have to take the front axle out to get at the drain plug. Its inside the leg above the axle.

Brent Boshart
10 R1200GS ADV (his)
09 K1300S Light Grey (hers)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2006, 11:44 pm
JMc

yep...axle has to come out. allen screw in bottom of the tube. do that first...button it back up; then pull the tubes. somewhere out there is the instructions...maybe ibmwr.org...not sure. best of luck!
JMc

JMc
1998 K1200RS "Taxi"
[email protected]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode