plug wire - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2006, 5:57 pm Thread Starter

plug wire

Has anyone changed the plug wires on their 03 GT's? I need to, and the closest dealer said it would be 7-10 days before he could get any since they didn't normally do that. They also want $60.00 EACH, which seems kind of high.

I'm wondering if a standard automotive set could be used, but the metal caps on the plug ends might be there for a good reason and I'm not sure. If that's not a good idea, anyone know who might carry the stockers at a better price?

thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2006, 6:40 pm

The caps have resistors in them. Why do you "need" to change your wires?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2006, 8:05 pm Thread Starter

I "need" to because when it was in for the last service the dealer pinched a wire under the valve cover; seeing his mistake, he wrapped the wire rather poorly in electrical tape.
There are little spots where it's been grounding out occasionally. Saw this while under the plastic to change out blown out quick disconnect.

Any idea what the ohm rating is? Some auto' applications also have resistors ends.

The metal caps look like guards, maybe heat shields, and don't appear to be connected in line. The resistors are probably inside the cap section itself, not the metal shield on the outside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 11:18 am
Veteran

Using a CHEAP(this ain't no Fluke) ohmmeter, my plug wires read:

7K for the longer (#1,#2) wires.
6.5K for the shorter (#3.#4) wires.

I mainly use this value as a reference point and check them every valve check.

Bob is correct the caps have resistors in them

Bruce C

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 1:07 pm
Addict

It used to be possible to buy the supression cable in UK. You can spot it by the black string like core. But I'm unfamiliar with how the BMW oem connectors are fitted. In the old days when things were simple, there was just a small in-line screw that went down the centre core and you screwed the connectors on the cable. From memory, the connectors at the plug end are quite long and I've never seen anything like them in the motor accessory shops.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 1:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flk1
I "need" to because when it was in for the last service the dealer pinched a wire under the valve cover; seeing his mistake, he wrapped the wire rather poorly in electrical tape.
There are little spots where it's been grounding out occasionally. Saw this while under the plastic to change out blown out quick disconnect.

Any idea what the ohm rating is? Some auto' applications also have resistors ends.

The metal caps look like guards, maybe heat shields, and don't appear to be connected in line. The resistors are probably inside the cap section itself, not the metal shield on the outside.
OK, any reason you're not insisting that the dealer properly correct his mistake?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 3:45 pm Thread Starter

I'll definitely be taking it up w/ the owner. Have to say that he will probably cover the cost since he has always been straight up so far. He was unavailable when I called after finding the problem.

Right now the bike is apart in my shop and getting it to the dealer etc would be huge pita at this point, easier ( and hopefully faster) getting wires myself. Minimize downtime and all that. The parts guy said it would be 7-10 days before he could get them, and I hoped I could get them online sooner myself which has been the case before. I don't necessarily believe in any special magic associated w/ bmw wires if I can get matching spec equipment elsewhere.

Also, after seeing that, I'd rather fix it myself and present a receipt.

Where is Astatula? I'm outside of Madison, Fl.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 7:25 pm
Veteran

The parts guy said it would be 7-10 days before he could get them, ....7 to 10 days?...dont make sense.....get a new dealer....or at the least call around....use 800 numbers when you find one have it shipped nda....and dont normally do that?....how about oil...do they not normally do that also?...your getting screwed...for what reason .....did you date his daughter and break up with her? :wtf

Last edited by BAK04GT; Jul 22nd, 2006 at 7:30 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode