crimp-style fuel line clamps - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2005, 9:09 am Thread Starter

crimp-style fuel line clamps

Previous forum had quite a thread going on replacing the BMW fuel line quick disconnects with Omega parts. I've got those parts on order but am now looking for a tool to install the crimp-style fuel line clamps. I guess the clamps themselves can be bought at a BMW dealer but what about the tool? Can the clamps be bought anywhere else?
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2005, 10:28 am
No bogey's twist wrist

Cool crimp tool

Tool is an oeteker brand crimp plier, can be found with google for around $12, You can use a dull end nipper or dull an end nipper with a file and do the same thing, I have even used cheap wire cutters dulled with over use. The end nipper type give you easier an access angle to work with (straight on).

If it's got curves ride it.
life member NRA, GOA and Tennessee Firearms Owners Association.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2005, 12:15 pm

Head to your local hardware store (Ace, Lowes, HomeDepot) and grab a couple hose clamps, all you need is screwdriver. These items ca be found in the plumbing area, most commonly used in junction of plastic water lines. I carry a spare disconnect and a set of clamps in my tool kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2005, 1:31 pm Thread Starter

screw it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathogen7
Head to your local hardware store (Ace, Lowes, HomeDepot) and grab a couple hose clamps, all you need is screwdriver. These items ca be found in the plumbing area, most commonly used in junction of plastic water lines. I carry a spare disconnect and a set of clamps in my tool kit.
I have used those for a long time and always thought they were vastly superior to the crimp style used on our bikes. Now, as I plan to install my quick disconnects I want to avoid the mass of metal involved with screw type hose clamps. And I think in other places it would be nice to use the crimp style also.
Mark
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2005, 2:27 pm

Crimp Tool

Motion Pro sells a pincher tool (part No. 12-0024) and four different size pincher clamps. The Motion Pro pincher clamps, however, use two pinch arms whereas the BMW clamps use one pinch arm. Because of this design difference, I feel the BMW clamps work better in tighter spots. The Motion Pro tool can be used to tighten the BMW clamps and I think the tool can be purchased without having to purchase the clamps. Good luck.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2005, 3:59 pm Thread Starter

oetiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkeven
Tool is an oeteker brand crimp plier, can be found with google for around $12, You can use a dull end nipper or dull an end nipper with a file and do the same thing, I have even used cheap wire cutters dulled with over use. The end nipper type give you easier an access angle to work with (straight on).
Thanks for the help.

For anyone else interested the correct spelling is Oetiker
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2005, 6:40 pm

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathogen7
And of course… you KNOW that the screw style hose clamp is 100% stainless steel, right? FWIW… I do NOT want rust (from the non-stainless screw or "plate" ) in MY gas tank.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2005, 7:38 pm
No bogey's twist wrist

clamps

not all worm gear clamps are 100% stainless nor all one or two eared crimp type but they are all available as all stainless. The single ear BMW one are. Check prior to installation expecially in the tank ones. The only thing I dislike about worm gear is the way they cut the hose when tightened to much. Don

If it's got curves ride it.
life member NRA, GOA and Tennessee Firearms Owners Association.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2005, 8:06 pm

I haven't got the new fuel connectors yet, but picked up the pliers and clamps on evil-bay searching "oetiker". They are used on the hoses for co2 for draft beer. One guy also sells the connectors, but they are plastic.

'72 Penton Berkshire
'72 Penton Six Day
'78 75th Aniv Sportster (1st owner, sold '89)
'82 Honda cr250r
'04 K12Gt - KIA '09
'08 K12S
Robert Manucy
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2005, 8:07 pm
Throttle Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkeven
The only thing I dislike about worm gear is the way they cut the hose when tightened to much. Don
You can buy hose clamps that are lined and have rolled edges to prevent this. Check out McMaster-Carr. Do a search on "stainless steel hose clamps". The selection is mind boggling.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode