Heated Garage - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2005, 1:11 pm Thread Starter

Heated Garage

I have been wanting to get some sort of heat in my garage for the past few years, and getting the K this year pushed me over the edge. I have a 30,000 btu wall mount vent-free LP heater on order - http://www.reddyheat.com/products/gp30t.html

Any words of wisdom with these things I should know about? My garage is only a 2 car newer (1998)construction and I plan on putting some additional insulation in the attic. LP gas line is not far away from the crawl space so I should be able to tap into the line pretty easy. Curious to know operating cost if I run it 24/7.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2005, 8:18 pm
Addict

i have a heated garage to,, tho bare in mind i live in Arizona,, in the mountains where we get snow and stuff, but winter daytime highs usually in the 40 +. why heat it 24/7? I only heat mine when im going to be out there. can you set the t-stat to 45 degrees? be sure to mount the heater at least 18 inches off the floor so gas fumes dont ignite. ventless means CO2 and CO3 build up. Does it come with a O2 sensor? I'm a bit leary of the ventless stuff, here in Az land its against code to install them. the O2 sensors are supposed to make them safe tho. Our propane is over 2.00 bucks a gallon here so doing the 24/7 things sounds like money pit. The K should start in anything over 20 degrees, lower than that, take the Buick. I have a 26 ft X 26 ft garage with a 60,000 btu heater that I only ran when i was out there, took just a couple minutes to be warm and toasty. I have only R-11 in walls and ceiling. Prior to the heater I ran a mr. Heater single element heater that really worked ok,, tho it struggled to keep it warm. Oh, i have 10 foot ceiling too which are harder to heat. Oh if you keep the garage too warm the beer gets too warm to drink. and I couldnt get your link to work so not sure what heater you got coming. Jim
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2005, 8:28 pm
Veteran

Andy
You might want to do some checking. I know that ventless gas heaters are illegal in Calif.
Bruce C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2005, 9:22 pm

heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy45320
I have been wanting to get some sort of heat in my garage for the past few years, and getting the K this year pushed me over the edge. I have a 30,000 btu wall mount vent-free LP heater on order - http://www.reddyheat.com/products/gp30t.html

Any words of wisdom with these things I should know about? My garage is only a 2 car newer (1998)construction and I plan on putting some additional insulation in the attic. LP gas line is not far away from the crawl space so I should be able to tap into the line pretty easy. Curious to know operating cost if I run it 24/7.
My suggestion is to insulate as much as you can. I have no heat in my garage and I don't need it. It is always at least 30F above outside temperature and if I bring a hot bike or truck in it goes above that. Yes, in the summer I avoid bringing in a hot truck. Reason for all this is that the garage is bermed in on 2 sides and the third side touches the house. I remodeled it a couple years ago and insulated it and considered adding heat but I'm glad I didn't. If it gets close to 0 deg F outside for any long period I find something inside to do!
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2005, 11:05 pm Thread Starter

I have not checked with the county yet, but from what I have read online in my state ventless are illegal in bedroom/bathroom/tight contstruction areas (those that are vapor sealed)...it does have an o2 sensor/cut off. Planning on putting an CO detector right by the garage door to the house as a precaution and might have an extra in the garage to plug in when I am working out there only. From what I have read as well, folks don't recommend running these for more than a couple hours and you still need a fresh air source...guess I need to find a better heating option.

Last edited by andy45320; Oct 20th, 2005 at 11:12 pm.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2005, 7:23 pm
Enthusiast

I have a 24X24 detached garage. It gets a little cold here in St. Louis so I needed heat. I started with a torpedo heater but got tired of the smell and noise. I wound up putting an electric furnace in so I didn't have to put a flu in and dig a long deep trench for a gas line from the house to the garage. The electric furnace makes very little noise and keeps the place warm plus it doesn't stink. I could barely tell a difference in the electric bill.
Later == Bobby

Real Pretty Blue 09KGT
00 REX 1100
01 REX 1200
08 ZX14 Dark Blue Metallic

93 Supercharged Lytnin
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2005, 9:26 pm
No bogey's twist wrist

Angry heater in garage whoa whoa stop.

I install heating and air as a sideline and I am yelling danger will robinson danger, a ventless furnace is great in some cases, but a garage is a bad place, gas vapor, paint fumes, solvent vapor. All accumulate near the floor in a garage. Which is why garage gas water heaters are mounted on a pedastal to get above the concentration. Be very careful of using any open flame heater in a garage, a big boom is sometimes the result. You have been warned.

If it's got curves ride it.
life member NRA, GOA and Tennessee Firearms Owners Association.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 8:33 am

I use a Monitor kerosene heater in mine, but if I was going with gas, I'd get either a Rannai (sp). Pricey, but very nice units: direct vent and easy to install. Be sure to check local codes!
Check the local classified ads for used ones.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 10:15 am
Addict

wonder if a radiate(sp?) gas heater might work well here? the ones you mount on the ceiling and heats objects not air? use only when needed. anyone have any experience with these? FWIW I took my gas heater out of mine so a customer could heat his new house with it,,, err,, now its his and I dont have a heater in it for this winter. Was thinking of putting my old wall furnace in there, mounting it up 2-3 feet off the floor. I try to use a little common sense ( thats all i have, a little) and not clean parts with gas in front of the heater or spray varnish with it on.
With gas over 2 bucks a gal I wonder if electric is cheaper now? How do you compare? BTU's per gal of propane to kilowatts per BTU?
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 11:58 am

I've seen these, but no experiance with them. Looks like a good unit.
http://www.propaneproducts.com/modine-hot-dawg.html

(do those UBB codes work here)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode