Bright Light indicator on, lights out!! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2006, 7:36 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Bright Light indicator on, lights out!!

Lights worked great on the 1700 mile trip through the ozarks. Went for a short ride and noted the bright light indicator was on. Switch didn't change anything. Getting back to the garage it appears that only the parking light is lit, no low beam, no high beam.

I have the gps wired to the parking light and the connection may have touched metal when not connected to the unit, my fault. Would that have burned out both bulbs? Could it be a fuse?

It's an '04 k12gt.

Thanks,

Gravity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2006, 8:54 pm
Will ride for picts

This failure has been reported before on this site, and has happened to me. It is almost certainly a burned out ground wire. The headlamp assembly uses a common ground wire for both the high and low beams, which is known to burn out on some bikes. When the wire burns out, you lose both high and low beams, and the blue high-beam light is illuminated on the dash.

This exact thing happened to me last year on a trip 1,000 miles from home. Thank goodness I had PIAA's on a separate circuit. When I got back home, the dealer replaced the entire headlamp assembly with a new one under warranty.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com

Last edited by rhhall; Aug 7th, 2006 at 8:56 pm. Reason: Edited to add: This was not caused by your GPS wiring.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2006, 10:04 pm
Looking for better limits...

Why, you didn't ask?
Because, when you lose that ground wire connection at the head light, the bulb elements no longer appear to light. However, power is applied to the lowbeam constantly. Since the bulbs have a common ground point, the electrons go through the low beam element to the highbeam element, and then back to the highbeam switch. There, on the output side of the highbeam switch is another connection, that goes to the blue indicator that normally lights when you turn on the high beam. However, since there's now power from the highbeam (being fed by the low beam), and since there's a good ground on the other side of the blue highbeam indicator, the electrons flow through the indicator to get to that coveted place called ground.
If you get into a dark area, you can see that the highbeam is slightly glowing. Won't be able to see the low-beam glowing, as it's hiding behind the highbeam reflector.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2006, 10:39 pm
Will ride for picts

Jeez, I'm an ME, not a dang Sparky. All I know is that you've got to keep the magic smoke on the inside of the wires.

Seriously, do you have a wiring diagram, or did you just ask someone intelligent?

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2006, 1:25 am
Looking for better limits...

No wiring diagram...yet.

Thanks for the compliment, though.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2006, 7:37 am Thread Starter
Addict

Very helpful!!

I guess there's no way to DIY? I have my regularly scheduled service on September 8th, the first possible day they could fit me in for the 12k. I think I'll call them and see if they'll fix this sooner. I like to be seen on the road.

No one is smarter than all of us.

Thanks,

Gravity
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2006, 8:04 am
Veteran

There is a screw on the left side of the frame near the top of the radiator where I put a ground for my PIAA's. You might access it and run a seperate ground to your headlight. I would check for other damage (due to heat) to other wires in the harness.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2006, 10:00 am
Will ride for picts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity

No one is smarter than all of us.

Thanks,

Gravity
Razel is!

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2006, 10:04 am
Will ride for picts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity
I guess there's no way to DIY? I have my regularly scheduled service on September 8th, the first possible day they could fit me in for the 12k. I think I'll call them and see if they'll fix this sooner. I like to be seen on the road.
I recall a member fixing it himself with a large gauge wire. IIRC, there were some issues with the way the wire is attached to the headlamp assembly, making it difficult to do. I think this is why my dealer replaced the entire headlamp assembly, a $400+ part!

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2006, 1:58 pm Thread Starter
Addict

hmm

I upgraded the bulbs about 3 months ago. Do you think this has anything to do with it?

I called the dealer and they haven't ever heard of this. They suggested I replace the bulbs.

Gravity

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode