Techno help for the K newbie? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2006, 12:56 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Techno help for the K newbie?

Yes, this is my very first post. Go ahead on pick on the new guy.
I am the new temporary owner on a '85 K100RS. (Buddy came down from Charlotte and bought this bike a couple of days ago and it now sits in my garage, I am the cheap labor guy that he has enlisted in getting this $1300 thing back on the blacktop.)
I have always really liked the look of the K-bikes since I first saw them in Cycle (pre Cycle World) Magazine when I was in H.S. I will get my very own nek'kid K75 one of these days. Too busy enjoying vintage Japanese singles at the moment.

Anyway, I have a couple of easy questions before I start taking this thing apart.

1. Does this thing have some sort of front brake lever lock? I pull it back towards me and it stops abruptly as though the Master Cylinder valve is frozen.

2. Just to the inside of the mirrors, there is a peice of the fairing that is missing and all I see is what looks like a mounting place for small 3" stereo speakers. Since this bike was never wired up for a stereo, what goes there to cover up those holes? The few online parts sources do not list anything.

3. Bike has 7500 original miles on it. Atleast that is what the seller told us and is what the odometer says. There is not a odomoeter disclosure statement with the paperwork indicating whether the guage was replaced or not. Is there a way to tell if the mileage is true?

Thanks in advance!

Drew Mobley
GT Bean Counter
Atlanta, Ga

Yamaha '86 SRX600, '87SRX250
'88 Honda NX650
'66 Sears Saber 50
'85 BMW K100RS

Last edited by droopydawg; Aug 9th, 2006 at 1:38 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2006, 4:25 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopydawg
Yes, this is my very first post. Go ahead on pick on the new guy.
I am the new temporary owner on a '85 K100RS. (Buddy came down from Charlotte and bought this bike a couple of days ago and it now sits in my garage, I am the cheap labor guy that he has enlisted in getting this $1300 thing back on the blacktop.)
I have always really liked the look of the K-bikes since I first saw them in Cycle (pre Cycle World) Magazine when I was in H.S. I will get my very own nek'kid K75 one of these days. Too busy enjoying vintage Japanese singles at the moment.

Anyway, I have a couple of easy questions before I start taking this thing apart.

1. Does this thing have some sort of front brake lever lock? I pull it back towards me and it stops abruptly as though the Master Cylinder valve is frozen.

2. Just to the inside of the mirrors, there is a peice of the fairing that is missing and all I see is what looks like a mounting place for small 3" stereo speakers. Since this bike was never wired up for a stereo, what goes there to cover up those holes? The few online parts sources do not list anything.

3. Bike has 7500 original miles on it. Atleast that is what the seller told us and is what the odometer says. There is not a odomoeter disclosure statement with the paperwork indicating whether the guage was replaced or not. Is there a way to tell if the mileage is true?

Thanks in advance!
The first thing you want to do (before you and your buddy ain't friendly any more) is go to any local BMW motorcycle dealer and pick up a Haynes manual for this bike(about $20.00).

1) Should just be ordinary twin rotor brakes on the front. You can try bleeding them(read manual first). Seriously, these bikes are a little different.

2) Can't help you. I had a '85 K100RT and there was gloveboxes mounted at both sides of the fairing. It's probably an '86 or '87 they had fuel and water temperature gauges there. I don't think '85's came with them.
Use the parts fiche at: www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com or www.realoem.com . Also get the vin and verify it at realoem.com.

3) '85 speedometers were notoriously bad. The original speedo's didn't have vent holes in the back of the housing. Replacements did. It probably was replaced, maybe twice. Do you know if it works now? If not working, write back we know of a few fixes.

$1,300 is a good price if the plastic is OK. I sold my KRT for $2,700 in Dec.'05 and felt I gave it away.

If it does't run, DON'T RUN THE BATTERY DOWN. You can weld the starter relay contacts shut and you are without a buddy to get the non-starting piece of junk out of your garage.

Bruce C

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2006, 6:47 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks. Cant bleed the brakes. Something going on or not going on in the master cylinder preventing it. It feels more like there is a metal obstruction that is keeping plunger in master cylinder from compressing.
Plastics are beaten up, bike dropped and can tell it was not even a low speed fall. I can fix the damage with PLASTEX (awesome stuff!)
Buddy supposed to call one of my local beemer shops here and pay for tires and battery this week. Once I have, I will start it up. Had to jump off of truck to be able to know bike even works before buying. He is supposed to get a SM too.
I would almost think the milage is true, just because of the new condition of the pegs and grips, and old discontinued, very original looking tires on the bike, but 7500 original miles on a 21 yr old BMW? Hard to beleive.

I will look up VIN. Thanks for the advice!

Drew Mobley
GT Bean Counter
Atlanta, Ga

Yamaha '86 SRX600, '87SRX250
'88 Honda NX650
'66 Sears Saber 50
'85 BMW K100RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2006, 7:30 am
Veteran

Keep a close eye on eBay. Sometime you can pickup plastic cheaply.
Bruce C

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode