Annual fork oil replacement? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2006, 9:24 pm Thread Starter

Annual fork oil replacement?

Been browsing the new clymer manual (which is pretty well put together besides skipping over brake control circuits) and I came across one thing I thought odd...under the Non-scheduled inspection and maintenance, it is recommended to replace the fork oil once a year...anyone think of a good reason why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2006, 9:59 pm
Addict

wash out what ever crud gets in there as well as water that condensates. Not hard to do when you replace the front tire. A baby bottle is a cheap measuring device btw.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2006, 11:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmm
wash out what ever crud gets in there as well as water that condensates. Not hard to do when you replace the front tire. A baby bottle is a cheap measuring device btw.
Makes sense...just like the compression test....just never heard anyone mention doing it as a preventative maintenance item. Knowing the oil refill can be done quickly from the top end, I planned on trying it when I replace the shocks here soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 4:25 am
Addict

Since I was expecting my fork seals to last 20k and I did them last year, that's when my oil gets replaced!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 3:41 pm
Veteran

oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Since I was expecting my fork seals to last 20k and I did them last year, that's when my oil gets replaced!

If we are talking K bikes the man is right. Oil is not so important in this part of the bike. I replaced my oil at 16000 when the left seal went. The next time?? Who knows. Sold it with 130000 on it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode