Seals - '03 KRS - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2006, 12:38 pm Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Seals - '03 KRS

OK guys, I have a KRS which I bought new in '03. I have a little over 21K on the bike. A few months ago (don't know exactly) I noticed that if I hadn't washed down the bike in a while, there was a build up of grungy, dirty oil residue behind the rear boot, on the side next to the wheel. Not much... I wouldn't call it a leak, so much as a very slow seepage.

Is that normal for you guys? Or am I headed for the rear seal catastrophe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2006, 1:25 pm
Enthusiast

Might be a combo of brake dust and road grime, once cleaned, ride it and then inspect for seepage.

03K12RS
:wtf Joel Callan :wtf
Milwaukee, WI 53222

Homepage
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2006, 4:06 pm
Addict

Rear seal on transmission output shaft.I just had the same thing on my 04 except that the seepage was quicker.Warranty repair!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2006, 4:17 pm
Enthusiast

Chuck,

Looks like you were finally bit by the Harley like features of the "Old school" K's. After you fix that three or four times (even if covered by warranty) you will be more than ready for a bike that may only need to be hooked for new software. Man I hated those seals, especially the one that would smoke your clutch.

" OK, all of us pre-05 RS/GT owners who are NOT concerned about installing 7.0, BIG HUG! MMMMMMMmmmmmmm!"

El Barto
Ride fast.......Get there before the accident!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2006, 6:58 pm Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Barto
Chuck,

Looks like you were finally bit by the Harley like features of the "Old school" K's. After you fix that three or four times (even if covered by warranty) you will be more than ready for a bike that may only need to be hooked for new software. Man I hated those seals, especially the one that would smoke your clutch.

" OK, all of us pre-05 RS/GT owners who are NOT concerned about installing 7.0, BIG HUG! MMMMMMMmmmmmmm!"

OOOHHHH, you got me! I guess I deserved that! Well, I'm going to wash it and ignore it. I have 21K on the clock now, and I'm going to wait until the 24K service and see what my good friends at the dealership have to say. I'm out of warranty.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2006, 7:54 pm
Enthusiast

Chuck,

Have them take a look at it. They may do a good will fix. Its not like they can try the "we never saw that before". If they dont fix it I would just deal with it for a while. Done let it leak, or consume significant fluids.

One thing I thought was amazing was that they had 3 different terms for not sealed. Something like weep, seep, and leak. I think it was if the stain was dry, slightly glossy, or really running out.

Sorry about the wise crack. Hope you get it sorted out.

El Barto
Ride fast.......Get there before the accident!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2006, 8:26 pm Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

I'm on pretty good terms with the people at my local dealership. All those guys have treated me well for years (Irv Seaver in Orange, CA). I'll let you know how this comes out 3,000 miles down the road. As it is, it's such a slow seep (?) that I am not really worried about losing a lot of fluid. I'm going to take a solo ride from Southern California to Colorado starting on the 15th, so I'm going to wash the bike well the day before. I'll be able to tell a little more after the trip.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2006, 9:36 pm
Veteran

little grime and ...i have that on mine....brake dust and tire rubber...no drips and no wet stuff....dont worry.....i wash mine every day and just the 150 miles in a day it comes back....not really wet but just a grime.....35000 miles....from day one...i have had that....
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2006, 10:21 pm Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Thanks BAK. You're making me feel better already.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2006, 1:55 pm Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Well, I'm back from Colorado. The bike was filthy from the trip, and spattered all over with melted on and then hardened asphalt and tar after going through a buzzillion construction areas. But the area around the rear boot was fairly clean... and this, after over 2K miles at speeds up to 120mph... sometimes 100mph for hours. So I have decided the oily grime before was just from exterior sources.

I'm 200 miles shy of 24K. It will be interesting to see what the dealership finds during the service.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode