Intrument lighting - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2006, 8:54 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Question Intrument lighting

I had the same problem on my old K100RS.....the instrument lights or rather one or two of them seem to be loose. Sometimes I'll hit a bump in the road while driving at night and all is well lit....then a mile later it is back to "half lighting". Is the instrument pod an easy thing to open up for minor surgery? Is the cure a little dab of antiseize or some other connection-friendly paste? Enquiring minds want to know....at least I do....Thanks all in advance on your advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2006, 1:28 am

Question

What model/year bike is this?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2006, 4:03 am
Addict

Once you take off the front plastic and get inside you'll probably find a few black bulbs so it's worth the effort to replace all the pilots, plus parking and headlight if the bikes done some miles. You'll realise it's easier to put in a new bulb at this stage than at the side of the road. Yes the bulb contacts might be intermittent, but most likely it's the filament dropped off at one end and wiggling about.

If you want to do a cheap job, just replace the pilots 'on' the most like the background lamps, indicators, battery, high beam etc. It's worth checking the others are OK whilst you're in there - in case you weren't looking too hard at startup. Also check the headlight ground wires at the same time.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by voxmagna; Sep 17th, 2006 at 1:24 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2006, 3:50 pm Thread Starter
Addict

'04 K1200GT.....

Yes, while I have the plastic off...changing out all the lighting is probably a good idea. I'm wondering how much of a pain it is to open up the instrument pod.....any thoughts?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2006, 3:25 am
Addict

Apart from the extra bits of plastic and the screen motor stuff, I'm sure the instrument pod is like my older KRS. You may be thinking that the lamps are integral to the instrument housing which they are not.

They use miniature wedge bulbs in rubber holders which simply push into holes in the rear of the housing. I seem to remember that whilst it's possible to leave on the side plastics, mine was difficult so I removed those first, then the screen and front panels.

Unfortunately they didn't anticipate the road crud that can work its way up there, and the many wires to the guages are fixed with open screw down terminals which can corrode as well. The first time I got in there I put cable wire markers on all the wires (there are lots) and marked the housing. It saves looking up the colors and I can disconnect the housing completely, work on it away from the bike and put it back in 10 minutes + plastics time.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2006, 4:15 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Thanks

Thanks for the input....Ride safe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode