Paralever Links for 20$ - where's the problem? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2006, 12:33 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Paralever Links for 20$ - where's the problem?

I got fed up looking at the nice stainless aftermarket fastenings on my '97 KRS and seeing the paralever links bleed through rust, even after stripping and re-painting twice. The stock tie bars are pressed from 2mm mild steel to be stiff under compression, tension and torsion.

Off to Metal Supermarkets for 2 lengths of 40mm X 3mm stainless steel flat grade 316. 2 hours later, drilling a couple of 10mm dia holes, shaping the radii with an angle grinder and Inox disc then finally polishing with wet emery, I got the results in the photos. I used the original struts to get one template for the second new strut.

Yes, I know the replacements aren't press stiffened like the thinner oems, but this 316 stainless at 3mm thick and 40mm along the entire length of the tie is pretty stiff.

There's some lovely adjustable aftermarket struts around but sooo... expensive compared to $20. Why change the strut centres and risk screwing up the driveshaft joints?

Am I going to get any problems, I've never had any left or right pull (5" wheel) - just straight down the line, hands off the bars

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Para1small.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	3420   Click image for larger version

Name:	Para2small.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	3421   Click image for larger version

Name:	Para3small.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	3422  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2006, 1:47 pm
Veteran

you should drill some holes in them to give them more streangth...and some eye candy polish with red polish stick on a bench type polish wheel.....my thought anyway....good job.....dont want them to twist might also want to weld a couple of struts between the to beams
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2006, 2:13 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Thought about a close fit spacer half way down connecting the 2 halves, but didn't want more bolt heads sticking out, 'specially on the rear near the tire when those bearings go. This stainless is not like mild steel - it's real hard and tough.

Might put a BMW roundel on there or make up some flashy 'XYZ racing' go faster sticker to please the cosmetic brigade. Drilling holes lightens but weakens! Welding can weaken if not done properly and makes a mess for polishing, Don't want to put the price of the work up too much, gas is expensive for a KRS and more than 2 hours to make them is less riding time!

How'd you like my stainless boot clips? made those 2 - I like stainless steel.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by voxmagna; Sep 18th, 2006 at 2:19 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode