Plugs Causing Engine Noise through Amplifier - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2006, 9:33 am Thread Starter
Addict

Angry Plugs Causing Engine Noise through Amplifier

After installing NGK plugs (instead of Bosch) in my K12RS, I am experiencing engine noise, more like static, through the amplifier that my XM radio runs through. I turned off the radio, same static. At first I didn't know what was causing it as it is not in sync with the rpm's of the engine, just tons of static, then it goes away for a while. Hit the gas and it comes back. Let off, it eventually goes away. Strange.

I am assuming that the plugs are causing this at this point, as naturally I threw away my old plugs and can't test it. And of course I have to wait until Monday to buy new plugs as none of the local parts stores carry the Bosch plug for the K12.

Anyone else have this problem?

Ken Bowen-Retired MSF RiderCoach

Kerrville, TX

"Ride Safe, Ride Smart, Ride Home...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2006, 3:21 pm
Addict

Perhaps when you changed the plugs you broke a connector shroud, got an open circuit in the lead across which the spark is now jumping or disturbed the leads and got some tracking to ground?

Lift the cover first when it's really dark and see if there is any tracking (arcing) from the leads. You could get a fm portable and move it around the bike to see where the pickup is strongest as it might not be what you think. I doubt it's the plugs, more likely something you disturbed or possibly broke accidentally.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2006, 4:00 pm
Veteran

Check the plug wires with an ohmmeter when you pull off the plastic.
Mine are 6,500ohms on the short wires and 7,000ohms on the long ones.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2006, 6:22 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Talking Resistor Plugs

I think my problem is that the Iridium NGK plugs are not resistor plugs....the OEM Bosch are. That is where I am going to start tomorrow.

Ken Bowen-Retired MSF RiderCoach

Kerrville, TX

"Ride Safe, Ride Smart, Ride Home...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2006, 6:27 pm
Addict

Usually on cars they either use a suppressed wire lead or a resistor at the far end, or you seem to think there's something in the actual plug. From Brucecha's measurement varying with lead length, it sounds like they've used resistive leads. I suspect BMW probably worked out the total resistance required and use 1/2 in the lead and 1/2 in the plug.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2006, 12:16 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasKRSRider
At first I didn't know what was causing it as it is not in sync with the rpm's of the engine, just tons of static, then it goes away for a while. Hit the gas and it comes back. Let off, it eventually goes away. Strange.

I am assuming that the plugs are causing this at this point,..
If your plugs are indeed the cause of your static, then it has to be in sync with the engine speed, as the plug firing rate varies with the speed of the engine.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2006, 5:23 am
Addict

You have to first work out if the interference is being picked up from the dc supply, or the XM antenna. It could be alternator charge pickup from the dc lines or fuel pump noise - where's the XM, in the tank bag over the fuel pump?

Low battery or after first startup = lots of current pulse spikes into battery, when full charge reached alternator charge current drops off = less interference. Interference is still in sync but a higher frequency. Synchronisation to interference doesn't give the expected result if electronic device addons have digital processing in them.

Try switching main beam lights/heaters on and off and see if interference changes, move the radio away from the bike powered from a separate battery to see if it's pickup from the antenna or power leads. Is all quiet when the ignition is off? When you first turn on the ignition and fuel pump runs, do you hear the interference?

I don't know if you still have AM band portables your side, but with their internal antenna they are very useful when searching for electrical interference hot spots and can even locate arcing on battery terminals and inside wiring looms.

Last edited by voxmagna; Nov 1st, 2006 at 11:59 am.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2007, 6:50 pm
Noob

Radio noise after changing sparkplugs

I had a similar problem on my NSX once after changing plug brands so this may or may not apply here.
What it turned out to be was the old plugs had a solid cap while the new ones had a screw on cap that was hollow. When this was screwed all the way on the plug it left a hole on the top of the plug. This hole was large enough for the center of the electrode to kind of fall into and not make very good contact with the plug overall.
I ended up threading some old screws onto the top of each plug and then cutting off with a Dremel and filing down until flush to fix it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 2007, 8:07 am
Veteran

I have the same problem...but with am..(gotta listen to talk radio)...fm is fine...and it is a self powered tunner....but am picks up what i think is the charging system
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2007, 5:25 am
Addict

AM radio will pick up everything. I use a portable to checkout my electric blanket every year.

If the radio uses an internal ferrite antenna like most, the only thing you can do is try the radio as far back on the bike as possible and tune to strong signals. The best radios are the older car type (well for UK they are, since most are FM only now) which use a tuned circuit matching a short car whip aerial.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode