Beta Tester? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2006, 8:58 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Beta Tester?

I'm starting to feel like a beta tester for the K1200S. I have a 2005 with 28K on the odometer. So far clutch has been replaced two times. BMW of Grand Rapids,MI neglected to soak the first replacement clutch in oil before installation. Both clutches had to be ordered from the mother country.
One shifter drum replacement. After installation,gear indicator on screen didn't work. Had to order new potentiometer from Germany to fit the new shifter drum. They have been working on the brakes for over a year. Pulsing problem. The first disc replacement at 6K was not covered under warrenty due to a small cut in the leading edge of the brake disc which they attributed to a road hazaard. They replaced the disc with the wrong disc. The replacement disc had a groove in the center of the leading edge and was painted black. An obvious mismatch. Pulsing returned after pads got bedded to new disc. I checked original disc with micrometer and did not find any variation. Dealer rechecked original disc and agreed that it was OK and gave me $130.00 credit on the $275.00 bill.
Mismatched disc was replaced under warrenty. Pulsing stopped for 1K then returned. Both discs and pads were replaced under warranty about 4K back. An aside, while removing the front wheel to balance last week I noticed that the dealership "forgot" to replace the front axle clamp bolt when they replaced the axle. So I had been riding at up to 150MPH speeds for the last 4K with a missing axle clamp bolt. Go figure.
IMHO the pulsing has returned so I took the bike to Grand Rapids yesterday (two hour round trip). They could not find a problem. On my way back home the red triangle and the brake failure light came on while I was crusing at high speed on the four lane. Also lost the speedometer at the same time. I pulled over but could not get the brake failure light to reset. Speedometer stayed on zero and then fluctuated from zero to 190MPH and everywhere in between. I rode about another 50 miles to get home. Did the battery disconnect routine which did not reset the brake failure warning. I also noticed a clunking in the drive train. Sounded like the final drive. BMW OF GR had the bike hauled back to the dealership and did a cursory exam. Said the clunking sounded like a final drive failure and had not had time to check out the brakes or speedometer.
I have owned six other BMW motorcycles in the past and currently own a 2007 R1200S and a 1999 R1100S in addition to the K1200S. I love to ride this bike but I sure am getting fed up with the problems and all the time it has been in the shop. Also BMW of NA has been of no help whatsoever in the getting the problems corrected in a professional and timely manner. I have had way more mechanical problems with this bike than all the others I have owned put together.
Where do I go from here? I"ll keep you posted on what they find out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2006, 10:54 pm

I don't know a thing about your local dealer but from your description I'd suggest phoning BMWNA directly, explain the complete history of the bike and describe the current problems, then discuss having another dealer look at the machine. Given the number of mistakes that appear to have been made on this machine at the dealership, I'd start to wonder if they have someone on staff who is really up to speed on the new machines. No offense intended to anyone involved, but I think it's time you had another pair of eyes and ears on this machine.

Best,

GTRider

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode