Need Refresher - What is the correct GT f/r tire pressure? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2005, 7:04 pm Thread Starter

Need Refresher - What is the correct GT f/r tire pressure?

I forgot. But I presume mine is incorrrect!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2005, 7:25 pm

my tire pressure

I run 40/42
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2005, 8:52 pm

In warm weather I use 38 fr, 42 rear. In cool weather I raise a few pounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2005, 9:36 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocohen
In warm weather I use 38 fr, 42 rear. In cool weather I raise a few pounds.
TC,
I don't think you actually meant to say you raise your tire pressure in cool WX...........

Mike Kelly

Triple M Engineering

K12RS

Stanley, NC
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2005, 10:03 pm

Check under your seat...my 04 GT says 36 for the front and 42 for the rear...no offense, but it sounds like you don't check your pressure often. Make it habit.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2005, 10:08 pm

I think he did mean to say you raise tire pressure in cool wx..

In extremely hot weather/conditions, as for a track day, you would decrease the amount of pressure, in cold conditions you would compensate by increasing the pressure.

The book sez front-36.3 lbs. and rear- 42 lbs. for all load conditions. I increase the front to 40 to help prevent cupping on the GT.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2005, 12:53 am
Looking for better limits...

Generally, tires run cooler with higher pressure. They don't get as hot from the tire flexing. On the track, you lower the tire pressure so the tires warm up faster, and warmer they tend to be stickier. They also wear out faster, too. But, traction is more important on the track than longevity.
In the rain, you increase the tire pressure to prevent hydroplaning...which is usually when you have cool wx as well, so 6 of one, ˝ dozen of the other.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2005, 5:40 am
Addict

one more trick

all rider conditions are different, and manufacturers give underinflation numbers for the lawyers. my dealer says run 40/45. also, one wrench says inflate, check cold and hot, difference should be 10%. inflate accordingly. makes sense.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2005, 6:55 am
Throttle Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel
In the rain, you increase the tire pressure to prevent hydroplaning...
Ray, I have to disagree with that. I believe that you should lower tire pressure in wet conditions for more traction. The design of tire tread pattern will prevent hydroplaning.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2005, 9:49 am

Rickd, I respectfully disagree with your claim. Lower tire pressure offers less unit pressure contact with the road due to increased surface contact patch area. The tread does pump some water but weight per unit area keeps the rubber on the road. Lowered pressure is dangerous in rain, tag along with a crash forensics unit.. Among the first things they record is tire type, condition, pressure and skid mark width (if any).

As for cold temps, I raise a few pounds since my warm target pressure is the same year round which is about 42-43 fully warm front and 47-48 rear. After experimenting I found that adding about 2 pounds when temps drop under 45F results in about the right pressure. In cold weather there is more delta T i.e., tire pressure rise is less than in warm weather.

As mentioned earlier by another member, the tire pressure label is there to placate lawyers. Ideal tire pressure varies with use and temperature and the label is a safe one size fits all general use thang. Track pressures are much lower due to differing friction and compliance requirements along with significantly higher temps due to both low cold pressure and more knee dragging in corners. Naw, aint used pucks before on the K like the mad Dane.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode