Adding/Removing Fluid From the K12RS Rear Reservoir? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2005, 9:37 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Question Adding/Removing Fluid From the KRS/GT Rear Reservoir?

I need to fill one section of the rear mounted brake fluid reservoir, and drain excess fluid from the other. I don't see any reasonable way to get access to the cap on the smaller section, and that's the one that's empty.

The dealership told me I could pull the fluid lines off, and squirt fluid in through the port in the cap.

Does anyone know a cleaner way that doesn't leave as much chance of a brake fluid spill? Even my small hands won't fit in any way to remove those caps. Next thing is to remove parts to gain access, but which ones?

If you're wondering why one reservoir is empty and one is overfilled, so am I... I just had the brakes system flushed, and haven't ridden the bike much since getting it back. I think I've had it out twice and put maybe 100 miles on it. Yesterday morning when I started it to go to work, the ABS fault lights were flashing. Low brake fluid is definitely the likely cause, but I have concerns about how it ended up so low -- or should I say so EMPTY???

'09 Light Grey Metallic K1300S -Commuting and vacations
Used to be an OCRSRider, now I'm a VCSRider (Ventura County S Rider)

Last edited by OCRSRider; Oct 28th, 2005 at 9:49 am. Reason: Added GT to Title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2005, 11:05 am
No bogey's twist wrist

Smile fluid reservoir

If its empty you will need to have it bled again, If you take off the seat and the rear side cover on that side you can take one screw out move the overflow container and get at both caps. The side cover screws will have to be out (at least the two in back) to get the rear cover off, careful here scratches can occur. Check for leaks at all calipers if your losing fluid, and bring it back for a (no charge I would insist) redo. Just bled mine and put EBC HH pads all the way around. By the way outside one is for the rear inside one is for the front to look for leaks.

If it's got curves ride it.
life member NRA, GOA and Tennessee Firearms Owners Association.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2005, 11:14 am
"Hey Y'all"

Dealers .....

Your dealer should be b-slapped. The inside resevoir is (someone will know soon in a post), I believe, the front brake resevoir. (The resevoir at the lever is only there to add pressure to a piston at the ABS pump. It's level doesn't directly affect the braking on the bike. BUT - if the resevoir that is "empty" is the one at the rear tire, then it could cause a very bad accident. You won't just lose servo-assisted brakes if the level drops; you'll lose ALL braking. NADA. Zip. (But your rear brake will still work, Different resevoir). Remove the side cover (one screw on the side under the front edge of the seat, one under the middle of the saddlebag rack, and one on top rear of the cover. If you're gentle, you can get the cover off without removing the saddlebag mount. Find a wrench that fits the top of the resevoir (19mm? -- or a small and rare metric adjustable), remove the resevoir cap and add some DOT 4 fluid. A turkey baster works well for doing this. Any grocery store should have one.

I wouldn't ride the bike until you have the fluid level corrected. Afterwards, I'd ride to the dealer and tell them they need to learn some basics before they kill somebody.

Good luck,
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2005, 8:26 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the info - I'll pull the right rear plastic off later today. I pulled the shock reservoir (Ohlins) off and out of the way, and can see the brake fluid reservoir clearly now.

I took this picture before I touched anything (except the camera ) and it looks as if someone filled the larger compartment and expected it to settle into the smaller one, or they just forgot to fill the smaller one. The cap for the larger one was wiped clean, and everything else is still covered with road grime.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2005, 1:52 pm

Good post OCRS. Brought out some interesting info for me. Good luck with the technician that did the original work. Sounds like you need some "customer service". Let us know how it turns out. Happy motoring in the OC.

Jim
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2005, 10:31 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

The other section of the reservoir was bone dry. When I finally got things apart and filled up, it was too late to call the dealership today, but on Tuesday I'll call to get it in to have it checked soon. Probably won't ride it until I do have it checked. Good thing I have a Honda...

Happy motoring in the OC.

The best motoring in the OC is when you're on your way to someplace that has good roads!

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 4:25 pm
K12

How do you remove the caps?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 2:58 pm

I got my bike ('02) back from the dealer after a brake flush. I checked the reservoir levels and they were up to maximum. First ride out and coming into a sweeper doing about 80 mph I touched the brake and the ABS fault lights lit up. Major cheek contraction for about a second until I realized that I did have brakes. I eased home and looked at the reservoir. The front compartment of the rear reservoir appeared to be empty. I called the dealer and he asked me if I wanted to try to bleed the front calipers or bring it back. I have a lot of wrenching experience and the dealer was 130 miles away so I bled the brakes. A lot of air was in the system but I was done in about 30 min. The dealer told me that the diagnostic computer checks for air in the system but obviously was wrong. He since told me that the same thing happened on another bike he serviced. At the next service the computer showed a "non recurring fault" low brake fluid which showed what had happened.
As to your over full reservoir if the brake pads were replaced before adjusting the fluid level then the pistons would have been retracted a bit forcing fluid back into the reservoir. If the technician did this then he did it backwards. Most likely it was just overfilled.
By the way the dealer did give me the labor free on the next service for my trouble.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2005, 4:30 am
Addict

I suck out fluids from most things - forks, damper, reservoirs, coolant etc, using a kitchen meat baster or large hypodermic with a tube on the end.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2005, 6:32 am
"Hey Y'all"

Dealers, ARRRGGGGHHHHHH !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCRSRider
The other section of the reservoir was bone dry. When I finally got things apart and filled up, it was too late to call the dealership today, but on Tuesday I'll call to get it in to have it checked soon. Probably won't ride it until I do have it checked. Good thing I have a Honda...

Happy motoring in the OC.

The best motoring in the OC is when you're on your way to someplace that has good roads!
Trivia for ABS III Servo Asisted brakes: The inside resevoir is the front brake resevoir for the ABS pump. The outside resevoir is the rear brake only. The front brake lever and master cylinder only supply pressure to the ABS pump, whch activates the servo, which supplies pressure, whose fluid comes only from the rear plastic resevoir. The front and rear systems are activated by the brake lever, and the rear only with the foot pedal. The foot redal and the ABS share the outer rear resevoir fluid. The rear resevoir's chambers are not connected. Another way to "ad" flud is to "back fill" from the front caliper. (Same turkey baster filled with new fluid. Connect to bleed with clear plastic tube. Baster up, air out of tube, crack bleeder, press plunger. Voila, fluid into rear inside resevoir chamber.

Your dealer needs to have a serious talk with his mechanic.
Keep us posted.
Tim

p.s.BMW ABS info here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode