Gas - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2005, 11:57 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Gas

Gas?? What I let out after eating onions. Or what I buy on my rare visits to the US. But for ^&*^% sake can some one tell my why my blue 2003 K takes different petrol to the 97 taxi. The blue one runs best on min 85 max 95 octane, the taxi needed 98 octane. Compression ratio is the same???

signed

anxious rider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2005, 7:41 am
Enthusiast

Octane

Either the 03 is carboned up, the timing has more advance, or the cams are different with less overlap (this bleeds off pressure at low rpms). Are you talking about pinging at low rpm's or just poor running in general?

David Littlefield
Clute, TX
09 K1300S
70 Commando
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2005, 3:30 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

gas

I am talking about the taxi having a sticker on the tank advising that high octane was required (premium) and also that the taxi pinged without it and did not travel as far on a tank.

But there is no such sticker on the 2003 model, the book advising that a lower octan e rating is okay. I had been using the high octane in the new bike without doing any research. What makes me think about all this is,...

did an economy run on the 2003 and it travelled further on lower ocatane than it did on high octane. That is when I started checking my user manual.

Both bikes are in perfect tune, the taxi has been sold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2005, 8:36 pm
Go Dawgs!

Followed the advice in my manual and used nothing but premium grade gas (93 octane US/GA) for the first 18 months on my 03 GT. But a couple of months ago, after reviewing a lot of old posts on the old site, I dropped down a grade (89 octance). Seemed to run okay...no knocking or pinging unless I really was in the wrong range.

HOWEVER, overall performance seemed to slow and gas mileage started to dropped. So after about 1500 miles on the lower grade, I threw in a tank of premium at my baby was BACK to monster status. It was night and day. Obviously, I had gotten used to the slight hesitation and slow pick up with the bad stuff.

Hate to pay the higher price, but it's nothing but the good stuff after this.

-jd

-Jeff
2003 K1200GT (Blue...of course!)

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.
-- Douglas Adams
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2005, 1:59 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks for that. I will give her the ol college tie, see what happens

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode