K75S Tries To Start On Its Own - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2007, 10:01 am Thread Starter

K75S Tries To Start On Its Own

This is somewhat strange so I thought I'd see if anyone has any ideas.

The battery on my K75S was down so I decided to put it on a charger. I hooked it up and pluggged it in. Right away the charger started humming louder than normal and all of a sudden, the engine slowly turned over once. I quickly pulled the plug and noticed the charger was set on the highest level (50 AMP START).

So, I set it correctly and plugged it back in...it did the same thing.

I then pulled the negative lead off of the batter to let it charge. It was fine and the charger made the normal hum.

A few hours later, I took the charger off, and touched the negative lead to the negative post and the bike immediately tried to turn over.

There are no lights on the instrument panel and the key is off.

Any ideas??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2007, 11:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousOne
This is somewhat strange so I thought I'd see if anyone has any ideas.

The battery on my K75S was down so I decided to put it on a charger. I hooked it up and pluggged it in. Right away the charger started humming louder than normal and all of a sudden, the engine slowly turned over once. I quickly pulled the plug and noticed the charger was set on the highest level (50 AMP START).

So, I set it correctly and plugged it back in...it did the same thing.

I then pulled the negative lead off of the batter to let it charge. It was fine and the charger made the normal hum.

A few hours later, I took the charger off, and touched the negative lead to the negative post and the bike immediately tried to turn over.

There are no lights on the instrument panel and the key is off.

Any ideas??
the solenoid on the starter is STUCK in the "ENGAGED" position

it's FROZEN there.....

it must be replaced

i'm pretty sure that's the probem

good luck
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2007, 12:42 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the information! I will look into it ASAP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2007, 4:42 pm
Veteran

Never crank with a low battery...will weld the contacts....mentioned in this forum more times than i can count...i have been lucky so far.....lot of info in here....i cant think of anything that hasnt been asked....and all is from real situations.....good luck!...the only stupid question .....is.....the one that isnt asked.....and there is always an answer....may take a few late nights and a couple of beers...but we all get the problems solved
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2007, 7:08 pm
Noob

k75s tries to start

hello,
been there, done that, check your starter relay, make sure your battery is healthy,(state of charge, electrolyte reading, etc). - victor
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2007, 12:24 am Thread Starter

Update!

It was the Starter Relay. I removed it, lightly tapped on it with a small wrench, and the rest is history.

Thanks for the info everyone.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 8:14 am

I had this problem with my '92 K75s a few weeks ago.

What's going on is that the low voltage coming from the dead battery causes higher amperage to flow through the relay, which means higher temp, which fuses the contact points so that the engine keeps trying to turn over. Once you get the battery disconnected and pull the relay, you can break the contacts apart, but by then the damage is already done. If you take a look at the relay you will see that the contact points have melted a bit. That means that if you keep using it, you don't have a uniform surface for conducting electricity. The relay will be more prone to fusing again if used in this condition, etc.

$70 bucks for a new relay was my solution, and I won't fail to take better care of my battery now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode