putting neg- battery terminal on first before pos+ - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2007, 11:03 pm Thread Starter

putting neg- battery terminal on first before pos+

If you put the neg- terminal on your battery first before the pos+ what will happen.
I put my battery back on after putting it on charger for the winter and when I installed it I put the black terminal for the pos+ side on (which I see goes to the frame only) but did'nt see the red lead terminal till after I put on the neg- side.
After about 30 seconds I was getting smoke from wires going to my oxygen sensor which goes into the exhaust pipe.
Went to BMW shop and got new one along with new battery because I did'nt put the gel battery on a gel charger so they thought I probably shorted the battery and caused my problems.
I have an earlier post about the gel battery but now remember about not having the pos+ red lead connected at first and think maybe that coused my problem.
After putting on new oxygen sensor and battery my ground wire that goes to computer smoked really bad afer 30-45 seconds.
Durring all of this every time I hook up neg- terminal to battery the fuel pump motor always turns on with the ignition key off.
Any suggestions??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2007, 7:38 am
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltdm123
I put the black terminal for the pos+ side on (which I see goes to the frame only) but did'nt see the red lead terminal till after I put on the neg- side.
Man, I'm having a hard time understanding what happened here. Are you saying you put the negative wire to the positive side of the battery?

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2007, 7:54 am
Enthusiast

Grif, sounds like that is what was said. Grounded the positive terminal. Connected leads backwards. Probably fused starter relay and hopefully not much more. I would take the bike into dealer for assessment (trailer it in).

03K12RS
:wtf Joel Callan :wtf
Milwaukee, WI 53222

Homepage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2007, 4:17 pm
Looking for better limits...

Ok, first off, tie the postive (red) lead to the battery first, leaving the negative post free and clear of everything. That way, when you are moving the wrench to tighten the nut, any contact with the frame will be uneventful. THEN connect the black lead(s) to the negative battery post. Clock should start at 1:00.

Electronics, if unprotected, can fry in an instant. Alternator diodes may or may not lose their magic. Lights won't care. Fuel pump shouldn't be affected unless you turned the key on. Engine ECU will be compromised, but if you're lucky, it won't be damaged. Could be partially damaged, though.

Oh, and the heated grips will make ice cubes...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2007, 5:01 pm
Veteran

Quote:
If you put the neg- terminal on your battery first before the pos+ what will happen.
I put my battery back on after putting it on charger for the winter and when I installed it I put the black terminal for the pos+ side on (which I see goes to the frame only) but did'nt see the red lead terminal till after I put on the neg- side.
After about 30 seconds I was getting smoke from wires going to my oxygen sensor which goes into the exhaust pipe.
Went to BMW shop and got new one along with new battery because I did'nt put the gel battery on a gel charger so they thought I probably shorted the battery and caused my problems.
I have an earlier post about the gel battery but now remember about not having the pos+ red lead connected at first and think maybe that coused my problem.
After putting on new oxygen sensor and battery my ground wire that goes to computer smoked really bad afer 30-45 seconds.
Durring all of this every time I hook up neg- terminal to battery the fuel pump motor always turns on with the ignition key off.
Any suggestions??
I'm sorry, but your post is difficult for me to follow.
If you hooked the battery up in reverse polarity mode, you might have done a lot of damage.

Use the previous poster's very good advise and trailer it to your dealer. You can only do more damage to the electrical system.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2007, 11:09 pm
Addict

Quote:
...and when I installed it I put the black terminal for the pos+ side on (which I see goes to the frame only) but did'nt see the red lead terminal till after I put on the neg- side.
When you touched the last terminal to the battery post, did you notice a rather vigorous spark?

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode