Help! Remus On 99 K12rs Will Not Start - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2007, 9:01 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Help! Remus On 99 K12rs Will Not Start

I just installed a new Remus full exhaust on my 99 K12RS. I started it up and let it idle for 5 minutes or so to let the computer get calibrated (if that is necessary). Well, like any man with a new toy, I had to hear what she sounded like with a little throttle. I rolled on it up to 4000RPM and then let off and walked away. It stalled out and will not restart. What I've done thus far is pull the O2 sensor and check for obstructions, checked the sidestand switch, rechecked all my bolts, disconnected and reconnected the battery, and pulled the plugs to check for spark. I have spark but the plugs are full of fuel. So, I have fuel and fire so why will it not start. Someone please help and save me major $$$$ for not going to the dealer. Thanks in advance for all the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2007, 10:38 am
Will ride for picts

I'd dry out the plugs, then do the throttle reset procedure. I can't recall the procedure from the top of my head, but a search of the archives for the procedure should find it. It's something like, turn bike to on, twist throttle three times, turn off bike. Again, do a search to get the correct procedure.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2007, 9:32 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks but no change. Are there any techs. in the forum???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2007, 10:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200rs
Thanks but no change. Are there any techs. in the forum???
I had a 98 and if you started it and only ran it for a short time and shut it off, the next time to start it I had to hold the throttle wide open while cranking until it started. Might take 30 seconds or so. The early bikes were too rich on warmup and if not allowed to warm up completely they were very hard to start the next time. After installing a Rhine West chip, the problem disappeared.
I hope this helps.
H
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2007, 5:58 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGP3
I had a 98 and if you started it and only ran it for a short time and shut it off, the next time to start it I had to hold the throttle wide open while cranking until it started. Might take 30 seconds or so. The early bikes were too rich on warmup and if not allowed to warm up completely they were very hard to start the next time. After installing a Rhine West chip, the problem disappeared.
I hope this helps.
H

Did you have an aftermarket exhaust? Does that only apply to the next time you start it period or just right after? It never did it with the stock unit so you are saying this is typical with an aftermarket system? Also, mine shut off by itself.
Thanks for chiming in I will try that tomorrow.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2007, 1:11 pm
Veteran

Any luck yet?

Did you check each fuse individually with an ohmmeter(not visually)? Possibly the fuel pump or electronics fuse blew.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2007, 9:12 pm Thread Starter
Noob

It's at the dealership. I'm sure I will be embarassed when I find out. It has stumped everyone I've asked including myself.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2007, 6:26 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200rs
It's at the dealership. I'm sure I will be embarassed when I find out. It has stumped everyone I've asked including myself.
Whenever a bike runs and you starting changing things wiring gets disturbed or accidents can happen. I can't believe an exhaust system change can suddenly stop a bike from running. The oxygen sensor is only the fine control in the ECU loop, you could physically take it out and the bike would start and run.

Sounds like the problem is what others have said. Your bike will stand at the dealer a day, it'll start up and run fine and you'll get told it needed a new O2 sensor. I got this flooding problem on my '97 once so I hit the inlet vent with some ether 'easystart' and it ran fine. I remember that instead of leaving the throttle alone and just pushing the start button, I opened the throttle quickly, the motor stalled just like yours.

At startup the O2 sensor is disabled and the mixture is rich. After 2-3 minutes the sensor becomes active, so it is this first phase of startup to be careful with, particularly in cold weather.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2007, 7:51 pm Thread Starter
Noob

UPDATE!!!

I wish they were just screwing me out of an O2 sensor. At this point, dealer thinks the computer is bad ($1200). He said he put a new one on and it started right up. Thankfully, it stalled out again and will not restart. He said he was getting no spark until he changed the computer but I had spark here before I brought it there. Meanwhile, he is now leaning towards bad rings because he says the compression was low.( engine was cold so that may be the difference and highly unlikely at 33000 miles). It's a roller coaster. I'm just wandering if the morons at jet hot coatings stuffed something way up into the header and blocked it off. I kinda blew into it and looked inside for obstructions before installing the header but found nothing. I'm continuing to lube up as we speak.........
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2007, 9:54 pm

Did you try putting the stock exhaust back on and then starting it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode