Fast Idle after routine Maintenance? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2005, 4:54 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation Fast Idle after routine Maintenance?

I just changed my plugs, air filter, and oil on the 04 KGT. Everything went very smoothly but I can't believe that you have to remove the fuel tank to change the air filter.

Anyway, the bike now idles at about 1200 to 1400 when it's warm. It used to stay right at 1000 or a hair higher all the time (the manual says it should be 1050).

The original ECU has already been swapped but the cold start problem came back a little while ago. I actually have another ECU waiting at the shop for installation.

I just tried 'resetting' the computer by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes (another pain in the butt) but that didn't help.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2005, 6:42 pm
Enthusiast

My GT did that once, mechanic found a vacuum line had come loose.

Enjoying The Ride. Eddie Layton
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2005, 10:15 pm

Purge line or cable extention

Hi,
Check the vacuum/purge lines that run on the right side near the top of the frame to the gas tank/pump. Make sure they are not pinched under the tank or seat . One way to check is lift up the tank and restart.

Before doing that take a sec and make sure the throttle cables did not pull out of the recesses they sit in on both ends. Sometimes the cable pulls out and lodges itself against the cup/recess it sits in just enough to cause a high idle.
Missing vaccuum line connections are next . Then an unplugged sensor . Like the one in the airbox or anything else you may ahve accidentally touched.
After that check and make sure there is nothing lodged by the air intake butterfly's shaft.

This assumes that its not just cold out and runing at high idle till she warms up

Ride On,
JD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2005, 5:49 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice everyone.

It seemed to be a little better today and I noticed that if I held pressure on the throttle in the closed position, the RPMs drop right down.

I guess I'll be taking the plastic off again...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2005, 7:12 pm
"Hey Y'all"

Arrow Hold the Tupperware

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewNBiker
Thanks for the advice everyone.

It seemed to be a little better today and I noticed that if I held pressure on the throttle in the closed position, the RPMs drop right down.

I guess I'll be taking the plastic off again...
It could just be improperly adjusted throttle cables. Loosen them both, tighten the leading one (forward cable) until there's just a bit of play in the grip. Adjust the rear cable (cruise off cable) until there is no slack between the two in the grip.

It's a bit finicky, but what you are after is a smooth throttle with no "jerk" when you set the cruise. If it jerks on "set", not enough slack. Remove slack with the rear cable.

If you hit a bump and the cruise turns off, the cables are too tight relative to each other. Add some slack with the rear cable.

All of this is done at the throttle. No tupperware affected!

Last edited by CABNFVR; Nov 2nd, 2005 at 5:52 am.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2005, 7:40 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Ok, I fixed it.

Turns out it was the cruise control cable had rotated down a bit and the left side fairing was pushing against it and causing it to high idle just a bit.

I had to install, start, remove look around, install, start, remove, etc. until I finally isolated it.

But now all is right again in the world.

Thanks for the advice.

Bill
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 5:54 am
"Hey Y'all"

Glad to hear it's fixed! I made a correction to my prior post about the adjustments regarding the cruise cable.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 10:35 am

another possible high idle problem

If the follow suggestions (vacuum hose, cruise control cable, pinched line, ECU) are not responsible, then another source could be a throttle potentiometer adjustment.

Does anyone know how to adjust the throttle pot. on the RS? THere have been reports of the unit being sealed and only the fatory tech can get at the unit, which sounds like complete BS in my ears.

ONON-
Mark
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 11:35 am
"Hey Y'all"

Thumbs up Yes, No, Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathogen7
.............Does anyone know how to adjust the throttle pot. on the RS? THere have been reports of the unit being sealed and only the fatory tech can get at the unit, which sounds like complete BS in my ears.
ONON-
Mark
Try this post from our archives. The torx wrench is just a cheap L shaped one. Determine the size from the one screw you can get to. The inside screw only needs to be slightly loosened, and it's a b to get to.

MARK THE TPS before you do anything. I used a felt pen to place a line across the TPS edge and the engine.

As for what adjustment your trying to achieve, that's hard to describe. Is your bike knocking at idle or is the idle too high? Either could be the TPS setting.

And remember, this is one of those things BMW says we can't do at home.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode