Need Some Insight - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:25 am Thread Starter

Need Some Insight

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I purchased a used 2006 K1200GT in February from a dealer in FL. The bike had relatively low mileage (4,200). I have around 10,100 miles on it now.

At about the 8,800 mile mark I noticed a "wobble." The dealership changed tires for me as I was contemplating a Saddle Sore 1000. The wobble just got worse. Took it back to the dealer. Eventually they determined the rear drive failed. They replaced the rear drive.

On the way home from that repair, I detected the steering was still compromised but this time it was as if the front wheel was floating loose. Took it back and the dealership determined the ball joint(s) in the front end failed (apparantly the bottom portion was completely loose or disengaged).

On the test drive from the repair of the ball joint, the brake sensor (the one warning of low pads) failed. After that was fixed, I still detect the steering is compromised. This time it feels as I am riding behind a semi-truck when I reach freeway speeds.

Any ideas? Any experiences? I think it may be the steering damper or the ESA system. I am also concerned the transmission could have been damaged.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2007, 2:47 am
Addict

Forget the steering damper, that's not what it's for.

On a bike this new I'm surprised at what your dealer is finding (except for the pad wear indicator). You could slacken the front axle pinch bolts and 'bounce' the forks. This makes sure the axle and wheel is aligned. I had something similar happen on a previous bike where it wouldn't 'track' a white line at freeway speeds. Although I found no play, the problem was fixed with new steering head bearings. If your dealer was telling the truth about the front suspension, I'd wonder if the stearing head bearings had suffered, sadly that would have been an easy job when the front was opened up.

Always get the dealer to return your worn parts if not under warranty and I'd be tempted to get a second opinion from another dealer if you have one nearby.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2007, 7:37 am Thread Starter

Thanks.

Just spoke with the service manager. The current diagnosis is the front shock is defective.

Thank for the input about the steering head bearings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:15 am
Addict

Ah, so it looks like the faulty shock was first to go and may have contributed to the suspension damage. Pity you've got to suffer all that labor cost again. But you should have a different and better bike when it's fixed. Still get them to OK on the head bearings (and fork seals) whilst they are in there. To do that amount of damage, there must have been some bad knocks on the front end which weren't absorbed by the shock.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:44 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWILLIS125911
On the test drive from the repair of the ball joint, the brake sensor (the one warning of low pads) failed.
I'm admittedly not an owner of one of the next generation Ks, but I'm curious to know - is there anything to be gained by increasing cost/complexity of a system by adding a sensor to detect a condition that in the past has been detected by periodical visual checks, or, in the case of automobiles, a simple mechanical disc tickler that made a noise when the pads got low? This is not a complaint, but I don't see the advantage of instituting a high-tech solution for a problem that historically has been more than adequately addressed via low-tech methods.

Yeah, I know, it seems kind of strange that someone in Silicon Valley would bring this up, but sometimes, it seems to me that sometimes "improvements" of this sort are more trouble than they're worth.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:50 am Thread Starter

At least all these things (rear drive, ball joints, front shock, and brake pad sensor) are covered under the original warranty. But, what a pain in terms of disappointment, multiple 110 miles (round-trip) jaunts to the dealership, and loss of riding time.

If its not fixed this time, I'm going to dump the thing.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:54 am Thread Starter

I agree. One of the sad parts of the sensor failure gig is it is easy to visually check the pads on the GT - so I know the pads are fine.

But, just imagine the reactions of insurance companies, LEOs, if I got in an accident while driving with a brake warning sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnadero
I'm admittedly not an owner of one of the next generation Ks, but I'm curious to know - is there anything to be gained by increasing cost/complexity of a system by adding a sensor to detect a condition that in the past has been detected by periodical visual checks, or, in the case of automobiles, a simple mechanical disc tickler that made a noise when the pads got low? This is not a complaint, but I don't see the advantage of instituting a high-tech solution for a problem that historically has been more than adequately addressed via low-tech methods.

Yeah, I know, it seems kind of strange that someone in Silicon Valley would bring this up, but sometimes, it seems to me that sometimes "improvements" of this sort are more trouble than they're worth.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2007, 2:01 pm
Addict

Warning sensors on cars have always given trouble. Often the wires corrode due to extreme heat from hot rotors and where they are located - usually where most weather gets. Unfortunately it's often the case that there is no self check the wire has broken, so you never see a low pad warning. I think our bikes might even hold the low pad error in the ECU memory, which isn't good for resolving an insurance resolution.

I think this is all about trying to cover up the poor i.e fast, pad wear, particularly on the rear with a market driven safety 'feature' . It's cheaper to add a wire than it is to put in a caliper using thicker pads and design for a 12-15K mile estimated pad life.

If you look at the present bike and auto market now, it's often buyers who have little technical knowledge, know about warnings, but leave jobs to the stealers. I keep thinking they are deliberately working on a 6K mile life for these things.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode