Easy & very economical paint protection - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2007, 2:08 pm Thread Starter

Easy & very economical paint protection

A few weeks ago I saw a demonstration of the application of 3M Scotchgard paint protection film to the vulnerable leading edges of a K1200S. I was impressed by the product and decided to purchase the treatment for the recently repainted belly pan on my K75S restoration project bike.

The fella doing the demo, however, wanted $200 to treat the engine spoiler. Fair enough, but right now my extra cash is going towards the replacement of more critical bits and pieces on my bike. I decided to hold off on the Scotchgarding, but still wanted protection on at least the portion of the spoiler directly behind the front tire.

I found just the thing -- extra heavy duty clear shipping tape available from the US Postal Service. It's called HD2 Ultra Heavy Duty tape and is advertised as being - among other things - noiseless. I'm relieved to know this since I'd hate for the screaming of ordinary tape to mask the engine sounds and exhaust tones of my bike

This tape is nearly as thick as the Scotchgard film and is much easier and more economical to apply. It's flexible enough that you can stretch it around blunt edges and curves and, when applied cleanly and burnished or squeegeed into place, is nearly invisible.

I'm sure the Postal Service tape treatment will be much less durable than the Scotchgard application, but -- for the time being -- it works just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:10 pm

Just go to "XPEL" online. They have the 3M paint film in bulk. I got a piece,18" x 24" for $25.00.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode