Low-budget heated grip replacement - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2007, 9:47 pm Thread Starter
Will ride for picts

Cool Low-budget heated grip replacement

After 3 years and 61k miles, I had to replace one of my heated grips. Replacement parts were going to set me back $200! I decided to do it the the low budget way using two non-heated LEFT grips, that cost $17 each, saving me roughly $180. A full description of what I did is posted here. They are provided for informational purposes... replicate them at your own risk.

BEFORE:

DURING:

AFTER:

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2007, 11:42 pm
Addict

If a putting your hand around something a little larger doesn't bother you, consider buying Grip Puppies to put around your new grips, which should lengthen their useful lives considerably.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 2008, 1:11 am
Looking for better limits...

So, after a few years of knowing Rich, finding out that for the most part, he's figured things out without too many surprises, I changed out the dash lamps with the recommended LED's. Worked like charm.

However, I noticed that the right handgrip was coming apart, near the outside edge. Time to replace it. Rich posted a process to do this. So, with one success under my belt, I got a left-hand non-heated-grip replacement. Piece of cake. Thing is, you have to be careful of the heating element when removing the old grip. Armed with a newly purchased Xacto knife, I went after the right grip. Probably spent way too much time on the removal, but the underlying heating element showed no marks at all. I done good. Next, the new grip...with the accompanying plastic sleeve, that's really not interested in being separated from the new grip. Ended up rolling the grip half-way back up the sleeve (and on top of the rest of the grip) before encountering the ribs on the plastic insert. Explained why it was so tough to get the plastic sleeve separated from the grip...but it happened. Now, with the grip rolled half-way up itself, and free from the sleeve, I filled the grip with water (lubricant per Rich's instructions) into the grip and dumped it out. Then proceeded to push the grip on the throttle, over the heating element. Took some coaxing, but eventually I could feel the end of the bar against the end of the grip.

Contact cement. I had a spray can, but there's no way you can spray a controlled amount on the grip or heating element. That's where one of the best tools never invented comes into play...index finger. Excess drips off, then you apply it around the near the end of the heated element. Have a good towel handy, too...that damn stuff dries fast! Then roll the grip back onto the rest of the throttle/heated element.

Thanks, Rich...again, worked like a charm.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode