What weight oil to use - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2007, 1:24 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

What weight oil to use

Just bought an 2004 GT. It had jsut had its 6000 service and the dealer told me that 10w40 oil was used in the engine. I have always run 20w50 in all of my bikes. Summers are pretty hot here in Nebraska also. What do you think? Leave the 10w40 or swap it out before it gets too hot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2007, 1:40 pm
Throttle Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04GTRider
...and the dealer told me...
Fuckin' dealers.

I use 20W/50 exclusively year round. It is perfectly acceptable according to your owners manual.

Last edited by rickd; Jun 8th, 2007 at 1:57 pm.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2007, 2:45 pm

Wink Proper oil weight to use

Crank shaft and connecting rod bearings generate lots of heat. The applied oil stream besides stopping metal to metal contact also cools these bearings. Using a really thick oil does not allow as much leakage at each bearing thereby reducing somewhat the amount of cooling that takes place. Heavier oil also takes longer to circulate on a cold engine startup allowing slilghtly more wear each time you start the motorcycle. Yes you could run 20W50 and if you don't keep the motorcycle to high mileage you might ever experience a problem. 10W40 however will allow your engine bearings to run a little cooler and will let the engine survice to a higher mileage. That is my view of things anyway.

Buckwheat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2007, 7:41 pm
Veteran

I would use what it tells you in the book.....aint worth the worrie.....the gt has a tendency to leak by the rings while on side stand.....and smoke on start up....could be worse with a lighter oil......and i bet the engineers at bmw say to use 20 50 for a reason.....I have 30,000 miles on castrol syn blend 20 50 42,000 on bike....no problems no smoke on side stand and starts fine in 30 deg temps....never have to add between changes.....now...did he put 10 40 in the motor...or did you mean that it had 10 40 in the motor when he did the change...he could have been talking break in oil......but check...see if he really put 20 50 in....
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2007, 10:09 pm

The level of ignorance expressed on this forum is monumental.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2007, 10:59 pm
Looking for better limits...

If you can use 5w-30 and it doesn't use oil, you should be good. I know that's not what's recommended, but the lighter the oil, the sooner parts have oil flowing arond them at startup.

Having said that, the dealership that's serviced my bike has always used 20w-50. It does use about a quart between the 6k oil changes, which isn't excessive. Ya, I'd like it to be zero, but at 93k, I figure it's as broken in as it's gonna get, and I'll live with it.

If I knew then what I know now, though, I would've gone for the 10w-40 from the get-go. If you do a lot of stop-n-go driving, you might opt for the 20w-50, but if not, go with the dealer.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2007, 3:31 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckwheat
The level of ignorance expressed on this forum is monumental.
....Well now that your here we can all expect to learn all the things you know....so if you could...would you please make sure you check up on us more often ...maybe you could post threads on a daily basis with all your knowledge....maybe break it down into subject matter...so when we need to know something about something...all we have to do is look for your posting.....thank god you came.....i have been reading your books for years.....but notice that they are getting real hard to find....but maybe if you have your people get with Opras people....you could get a book plug.......and we could finally get to see what you look like on tv.....and be sure...i ll be takin the day off....get my ho hos....and my pepsi ....and my ass on the couch...just waitin....for the extravaganza

Last edited by BAK04GT; Jun 9th, 2007 at 3:56 am.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2007, 3:59 am
I'm riding

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK04GT
....Well now that your here we can all expect to learn all the things you know....so if you could...would you please make sure you check up on us more often ...maybe you could post threads on a daily basis with all your knowlege....maybe break it down into subject matter...so when we need to know something about something...all we have to do is look for your posting.....thank god you came.....
I propose to ask moderators to start special conference "Backwheat wisdoms" or so :-))

It would be top-visiting page :-))

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2007, 8:01 am
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK04GT
....Well now that your here we can all expect to learn all the things you know....so if you could...would you please make sure you check up on us more often ...maybe you could post threads on a daily basis with all your knowledge....maybe break it down into subject matter...so when we need to know something about something...all we have to do is look for your posting.....thank god you came.....i have been reading your books for years.....but notice that they are getting real hard to find....but maybe if you have your people get with Opras people....you could get a book plug.......and we could finally get to see what you look like on tv.....and be sure...i ll be takin the day off....get my ho hos....and my pepsi ....and my ass on the couch...just waitin....for the extravaganza

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2007, 9:14 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Oil

Well, I want whats best for my bike. Id spend a little extra to make sure the bike gets what it need to run it best and last the longest. Guess I'll have to do a little more research. Buckwheat seems to make some good points. Dealer says it water cooled so it runs cooler so 10w40 is fine. The mechanic in the back says he'd put 20w50 in it... Every other bike I have owned was air cooled. 10w40 just seems so THIN to me. I guess Im used to 20w50. Thanks a lot for your replies. Looks like we are all running different shit in our bikes....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode