Opinions needed - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2014, 12:30 am Thread Starter
Noob

Opinions needed

Need to hear from anyone that has used the product Ride On and what you think of it. Also want to know of any similar products.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2014, 8:07 am
cws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie
Need to hear from anyone that has used the product Ride On and what you think of it. Also want to know of any similar products.

Thanks
Google "tyre sealant" or "tire sealant" and you'll come up with a whole bunch of them, Ride-On, Slime, Ultraseal being some of the popularly available ones... but think there's plenty more.

I've been using Ultraseal, and then Slime when I couldn't get Ultraseal any more, for about 6-7 years in my LT tyres. Have some ready to put in the GT too... might do that this weekend now you've reminded me :-)
A couple of times I've had wallboard screws in rear tyre of the LT and just been able to keep riding, no leaks. One screw I didn't find till the head was just about worn away. Pulled the remainder of the screw while at work hoping it was just tiny... but air started leaking, so turned the wheel till the hole was downward and the sealant filled it again... able to ride home, plug the tyre, and ride it till it was completely worn out. Never had another leak from the string plug.

Supposedly helps tyres run a little cooler, also help with balancing, as the sealant never dries out and centrifugal force keeps it against the inner wall while riding. Even though it pools a little while you've stopped... it soon spreads out again.

I've found bike shops tend to hate changing tyres with sealant in them because its messy, even though it just washes off with water.
I pull the wheels and remove the tyres myself, take washed bare wheels in to get new tyres installed..... take them home, balance myself with a Marc Parnes balancer, then add the slime and re-inflate.

Only reason not to use it I think is if you have tyre pressure sensors attached to the rim.
Not too expensive just to try it out yourself. Happy user here

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode