Bike racing security advice - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2008, 3:14 am Thread Starter

Bike racing security advice

Hi. I'm going to take my bike out for a ride this Sunday and am concerned about how best to secure my bike so nothing happens to it. I'm going with a friend who's taking his bike as well. My first thoughts are to chain the bikes together as this would make them more difficult to move. I know the security options are limited, but being new to riding this is another new experience for me and I would appreciate any suggestions/experiences to minimize the risk of my pride and joy being stolen.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2008, 7:46 am
Enthusiast

Without lugging around too much in the way "hardware" the experts do recommend that you do secure your bike to either another bike or an immovable object. Chains tend to be more bulky and heavier than cable systems but it really is up to you. There are many pluses and minuses for each and I think that if you use a quality item it will prevent or slow the amateur thief and probably just give the pro a good laugh... I've used a cable for 39 years and have not (knock on wood) had any problems. Obviously, just using something vs not using anything will improve your chances of not becoming a victim.

Gary
2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Grey
New Jersey-Don't Laugh!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2008, 1:08 pm
Would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmotorental
Hi. I'm going to take my bike out for a ride this Sunday and am concerned about how best to secure my bike so nothing happens to it.
A lot depends on what kind of bike, where you're taking it, and what you're worried about happening to it.

I've got a K1200GT which is big and heavy and not all that popular with thieves, and I live and ride in safer areas of California, so I usually just lock it. I've got a brake disc lock with an alarm that I use when I park at hotels to thwart the "roll it into a van" issue, and just to alert me if someone messes with the bike. (Hasn't happened so far.) I usually leave the topcase on the bike and take the side cases with my clothes and stuff into the room with me.

When I lived in the south of France, on the other hand, I was never comfortable unless the bike was in a garage AND locked up tight AND I never left bags or anything on the bike. I used a couple of disc locks (one front one rear) as well as a heavy cable to secure the frame to another bike or something solid.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode