BMW F800ST- Should I Buy ? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2008, 11:42 pm Thread Starter

BMW F800ST- Should I Buy ?

Would appreciate hearing from F800ST owners on how satisfied they are with the F800ST.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2008, 12:17 am
I'm riding

You may find wells of information here http://f800riders.org/forum/forum_home.php

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2008, 10:37 pm Thread Starter

Thank you for the lead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 2008, 8:39 am
Noob

I love my 2008 F800ST. I bought it new in June of 2008, and have only put about 2000 miles on it so far. No problems, no issues. EWS ring swapped out per recall. Other than that, it is incredibly responsive and very FUN to ride.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2008, 10:57 am
Enthusiast

I took one for a test ride at Long Beach BMW back in the summer and I was very impressed by the smoothness and power. Two things I do not like about the bike. First the wind blast (I ride a RT so that explains that). A new screen would take care of that situation. And two the saddle bags for this bike. Never liked the accordian style saddle bags. Not enough room in them.

'05 R1200RT, Ruby, as in RED, (current garage queen)
'04 R1150RT, '99 Ducati 748 BiPosto, '93 Seca II, '93 K1100RS, '83 Yamaha Maxim 750,
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2009, 9:52 am
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousFlyer
Would appreciate hearing from F800ST owners on how satisfied they are with the F800ST.
I had one for an all-day service loaner last year and hated every minute on it. Even with 2500km on the odometer, the engine still felt brash and harsh, and despite the significant extra power it didn't feel much quicker at all than my '07 Dakar. Waaay slower than my R1200R, which was the bike in the service shop that day. I also hated the ergonomics, they didn't work at all for me. Am 186cm height. The narrowness and bend of the bars ruined it for me, I think.

Before buying my GT I also tested a K1200R and F800GS and revisited the R1200GS. I still loved the 1200GS but hated the 800GS, same issues again with the engine.

I think BMW has really goofed with the 800 engine. Triumph has proved that it is possible to build a silky-smooth parallel twin, without requiring any silly third-conrod rubbish. I tested an 865cc Bonneville last year before deciding on the R1200R. It was fabulous, and while it kinda lacked grunt, that could be addressed easily with a mild change of sprockets.

Am very glad I've kept my Dakar. The Rotax 650 single is (and was even when I bought it new!) far, far smoother and more pleasant than either of the F800s I've experienced. A fabulous engine.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2009, 11:09 am
OVD

I think F800ST is a solid, well made bike. It gets the job done well for what it was designed for. Rides nice, feels nice, looks nice. I was lusting over one for quite some time and finally went to a dealer for a test ride... and I was not impressed. Something did not quite clicked with me about the bike. I cannot pinpoint what it is. No, it is not the price as I prepared myself for a large expenditure. I think I simply expected more from the bike, it did not move me (not literally It moves pretty well, though I expected the bike be more energetic). And it was then that day when I saw the K1200R in person... I still can't get over it, even after I have bought it. It was like going on a date and your date shows up with her girlfriend and you cannot get your eyes away from her Well, I married the friend

Anyways, as it was stated above, you will find a ton of info on the F800Riders.org forum, way more info that you can digest.

2009 K1300S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode