R 1200 RT technical questions - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2008, 12:24 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

R 1200 RT technical questions

Does anyone know if the newer R 1200 RT has issues with transmission input/output shaft seal failures or rear main seal failures that the pre-2005 K 1200 bikes are known for? Does this model use a similar Getrag bolt-on transmission like the pre-2005 K 1200 bikes? What about maintenance costs compared with either the pre-2005 K 1200 models or the Gen II K 1200 models? How about ride comfort, power, handling etc with 2-up? And what about the fun factor: does the R 1200 have it?

Cheers,
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2008, 9:53 am
Enthusiast

R1200rt

Hi Tom
I have owned my R1200RT for almost 3 years and was riding a 93 K1100RS for 11 years. At 18K miles my tranny seals starting leaking. The tranny seals were replaced along with the clutch due to contamination at 20K miles under warranty. Do all of the 1200's leak? Of course not but I am certainly not the only one with this issue. Another potential issue has been some final drive failures. I have no problems with my final drive at all. No wobble in my rear wheel which is a good thing. In terms of maintenance cost it is actually lower than the K bike if you do maintenance yourself. Heck what is there to do other than adjusting valves every 6K miles and changing fluids and an air filter? I do my own maintenance which I prefer doing so it is no big deal for me. The comfort is why I bought the bike. As stated earlier I rode a K bike for 11 years. While I loved that bike I was looking for more protection, more upright seating, and a no dive front end which the telelever offers and this bike has delivered for sure. To be blunt I cannot believe how much I like this bike and the boxer engine. The new hexhead has about 15 more ponies than the previouse model, 45 lbs. lighter, with cruise control which is my favorite accessory on the bike. Remove the bags for day rides and if you keep it above 5K rpm's in the mountains in 3/4 gear not many bikes will get away from you. The best advice I can offer is go test ride one for 1-2 hours or better yet rent one for a day. It will be the best $150 you could spend. I test rode mine for 20 minutes and bought it on the spot. The 04 RT I rode for 6 months was on the selling block with no regrets whatsoever. As a matter of the fact the new hexhead fixed everything I did not like about my 1150 RT. Bottom line is that I am really satisfied with this bike. Mechanically is it superior to the 1100/1150 in every way. Just go test ride one and see for yourself.

'05 R1200RT, Ruby, as in RED, (current garage queen)
'04 R1150RT, '99 Ducati 748 BiPosto, '93 Seca II, '93 K1100RS, '83 Yamaha Maxim 750,
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2008, 2:21 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Hi Keith.

Thanks for the very informative reply. Were you using synthetic gear oil at the time the seals failed? At 5K rpm (& up), how's the vibration? Do you find there's enough power for passing or two-up riding? I don't know anyone that would rent one for the day, which is an excellent idea, BTW.

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2008, 10:05 pm
Enthusiast

R1200rt

Tom
I was using synthetic tranny fluid at the time the seals leaked. It was 85w140 fluid. Now I am using 75w140 tranny fluid. I have not really noticed any vibration above 5K rpm's. This bike has ABOLUTELY no problem passing while riding 2 up. None at all. It looks like the closest Eagle Rider location to you is Dallas or Houston. You might have a problem renting right now in Houston however. Drop them an email or call. I would bet you can take an RT out for a long cruise in the Austin area if you are serious about buying one. Like my father has always said, it never hurts to ask, the worst they can say is no.

'05 R1200RT, Ruby, as in RED, (current garage queen)
'04 R1150RT, '99 Ducati 748 BiPosto, '93 Seca II, '93 K1100RS, '83 Yamaha Maxim 750,
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 9:41 am
Addict

Seal problems were very common on the early hexheads, less so on the later models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvida
And what about the fun factor: does the R 1200 have it?
Yes, until you ride a Gen II K-bike.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2009, 8:56 am
Veteran

Seals were/are problematic in about all the boxers since they (BMW AG) got the brilliant idea of putting the catalytic converter under the tranny and cooking their cheap-ass rubber seals in the box to the point of crystallizing. First hand knowledge here.

I've rebuilt my own and 4 out of 5 seals were rotted or leaking in some form after about 4-5 years. You can, make that should, replace them with some seals that withstand higher temperatures (like Viton maybe?). Just the need to get them out and mike them before you go to a seal shop.

Actually, short of using a butane torch to get the box apart (shaft bearings are press fit), it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. Most pieces are large and pre-assembled (tranny shafts) and it would be hard to do it wrong. Getting the thing out the first time is a bit odd as bike sort of folds over on itself.

Mack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode