LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2009, 12:43 am Thread Starter

need advice on purchase of k1200s

http://bmw.gulfcoastmotorcycle.com/home_bmw.asp

see section 'used inventory'.

I'm looking at buying a k1200s (2005).
What are things I should look out for?
Are BMW bikes reliable?
I've seen a few youtube comparisons with bmw bikes where the bmw breaks down and the journalists have to wait for a bmw tech to save them! That wasn't the case with the japanese bikes.
I'm also looking at yamaha fjr1300.

Thank you,

Oskar Teran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2009, 5:38 am
Veteran

as mentioned on the other site, have you looked at 08 BMWs at bmw daytona? that 3 year warranty is worth a lot.

http://www.bmwcyclesdaytona.com/

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2009, 6:10 pm Thread Starter

reply to daytona dealer

Hi,
thank you for response.
I'm located in Houston. Daytona is FAR away!
Houston BMW dealers also have 3 year warranty.

Your bike is a few years old now. How much have you spent on repairs?

I am very skeptical of BMW products since I owned a BMW auto (5 series). I had it for 77k miles and it was amazing WHEN IT WORKED!
This car is the most trouble prone car I've ever had! (owned mazda, honda, ford, GM - most reliable was Honda and Ford Mustang).

What upsets me is that my car felt and performed better than anything I've ever driven. But it was always breaking down!!
Why can Lexus make great luxury cars that are also RELIABLE!

The K1200s or BMW bikes in general have features that no other bikes have. What I'm wondering about is if the bikes are the same as the cars!

In 77k miles (not that much) this car went through 2 sets of alternators and pulleys, 2 cooling systems (radiators, water pumps, etc. All things related to cooling), 1 complete set of suspension bushings, door seals (WTF?? no other car I've owned had door seals go bad!), engine oil leaks. Thank God all this was covered by warranty.
Total price for fixing all these problems was a bit over $7k!!

After learning more about german cars, it turns out BMW and Porsche are the 'good' ones. Mercedes is worse than this!! Audi is the best of the worst! This is insane!!!!
What happened to ' the art of engineering '??

I know for a fact BMW autos are NOT reliable and will cost you a substantial amount of $$ to keep on the road (at least in a safe condition). I've seen too many posts about BMW bikes also being unreliable but it's hard to find proof. I want to confirm if the lack of reliability is a FACT or an opinion!

I've found proof for the german cars being unreliable. Bikes don't have the same resources to track reliability. (NHTSA, independent reviews by JD Powers or Consumer reports). I also know several people who own or have owned mercedes and BMW autos and I've seen their repair bills.

I'm also friends with mechanic in my city who specializes in German car repairs. I see a lot of what he goes through. He's dealing with this reality every day!! It's a good business to fix german cars...they're NOT reliable but have myth of being superior! Great business if you can get it!

Oskar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2009, 7:37 pm
Veteran

From what I've read, BMW Daytona bought a bunch of bikes and they are selling them cheaper than some or most other dealers. That's why I sent the post. It may even be cheaper to buy there and ship. Of course, bmw houston has 3 yr warranty. I only mentioned it because you don't get a warranty on a 2005. With you bmw car experience, I would think that would be important.

A lot of what you read on the net are posts about complaints and requests for help. It's difficult to say what the real story is about problems. I have 28K miles on my 07 KS. I had both shocks (ESA) replaced, airbox, and ECU under warranty. My friend has an 06KS with about the same mileage. He hasn't had any problems or warranty issues that I know about.
If I were buying now, I would buy new instead of a 2005.
FWIW, I have a Mercedes. No problems in 80K miles. Well, one catalytic converter under warranty.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode