Thoughts on R1200R - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 2010, 10:52 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Question Thoughts on R1200R

I currently own and love my 2008 K1200GT. Superb motorcycle and I've had no problems. I KNOW I'll keep it.

I'm thinking of adding something a bit different to the "rolling stock" and had an eyebrow up for the R1200R as a different type of ride from the K12GT.

I defer to the experts in this forum for your thoughts and greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions you may have on what owning a R1200R is like. What's good, what's bad and compared to the K?

Many thanks in advance and please ride safely!

Cheers!

Peter

Peter Fiedler
Boxford, MA

Adventurin Silver
2008 K1200GT
White
2009 R1200GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2010, 10:41 am

I have an 07 R1200S it is a wonderful back road ride, I had a friend that had a R1200R it was the same really except it was a little more comfy. I guess the RS is lighter than a RR and maybe a little more HP, I choose a RS to compliment my K12GT as a back road hooligan ride, the GT is great for 2 up and long rides but the RS is so much lighter it is great in a different way! No one bike does everything well, the KGT comes close but......
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2010, 12:24 pm
Enthusiast

Peter
The R1200R is a great bike. A friend has the R1150R and he can ride the wheels off of it.
The Good
Lighter than the KGT, great handling, easier to work on ie. valve adjustments, better fuel economy, full touring capability,

The Bad
The engine is not as smooth as your K motor, not as much protection from wind, rain, etc.

IMHO I think the 1200R would be redundant for you.
Just my .02.

'05 R1200RT, Ruby, as in RED, (current garage queen)
'04 R1150RT, '99 Ducati 748 BiPosto, '93 Seca II, '93 K1100RS, '83 Yamaha Maxim 750,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2010, 8:09 pm
Sheep

I had an '08 R1200R (first BMW) which I modded. It was a flawless operating bike. Despite post above, the R12R is a very smooth bike and a lot faster than most think. Handles very well as it's considerably lighter than a K. Just learn how to adjust your own valves as they need more adjustment than a K's. Less a techno-gadget than the K, therefore much easier to work on. You'll give up protection against the elements/wind, no matter how big a windscreen you mount. The R is very comfortable with great ergos. The little sportscreen (flyscreen) is actually quite effective and gives the bike a better look than taller ones. I painted my R12 as I didn't like the matte gray. It's a totally different bike than the K-GT so there is the slightest bit of redundancy... would actually be more fun (sporty) than the GT. I'd have no qualms returning to an R12R again, but I'd probably try to pick up a Duc Monster just to try a diff brand with a V-twin again.

But if you still have your '09 R1200GS, I see no point in getting an R12R... the R12S is definitely a better choice if you love boxers and want "more different."

I had a full Remus exhaust, Dobeck TFI fuel inj module, Pazzo shorty levers, Cee Bailey for more protection in winter, Givi bags paint-matched, Mich PR2's.

Here's pics of my R12R: first is the summer version with BMW's great little sport screen:

Second is the winter and/or touring version:

Last edited by Sheep; Mar 13th, 2010 at 8:15 pm.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2012, 8:07 am
Noob

according to me R1200R is very smooth on highways. it is very reliable if considered riding, just that it is little bit heavy. i think you are going to have a great experience.

Yamaha Bikes

Last edited by drakelouis29; Jun 14th, 2012 at 5:30 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode