1150RT 6th gear OD - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2006, 5:08 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

1150RT 6th gear OD

OK, I gotta ask this. I'm a loyal KRS guy, but I have ridden a RT a good bit and really liked it except for one thing: that wide gap between 5th and 6th gears. Is there a way to break down the tranny and swap that supertall top cog for someting a little more reasonable and better spaced? I know the 1150R and RS also used that transmisison. The RT is almost perfect except for that one huge flaw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2006, 9:03 pm
Enthusiast

I had a 95 R11RS and the 5 speed was always a PITA. My 1150 RT is better and where I live the gap in 6th isn't such a big deal...but, I know what you mean about the gap. While I don't know the answer to your question, I do think you could make a swap. I think the practical answer is that unless you can get salvage parts and do it yourself it would be cost prohibitive. I believe the new R12/RT, even though I really don't like it, has addressed the "gap" issue with a true 6 speed and to me, most importantly, unlinked brakes. I would recommend that you visit www.bmwrt.com and see what the folks over there have to say. There are some knowledgeable and experienced riders over there and have some good technical savy. They may be of some assistance.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2006, 8:33 am

Interestingly enough, the lack of the taller 6th gear on the R1200RT has been a press coverage negative. The times I've been on the RT, the tall 6th gear made huge sense - it's a high-speed cruise gear.

Dave

'04 K12GT Grey-Green
'06 F650GS (Hers)
'95 Triumph Trophy (Katrina victim)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2006, 11:28 am Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Thanks guys, I guess my issue is I spend a lot of time on two lane roads, and the gap always has me shifting up or down to try to use the power most effectively without spinning the motor. The other thing I guess is if 6th is the normal gap up from 5th, would the bike feel under geared on the slab, and introduce lots of vibes?

I spent a full day on an RT in Colorado, and I REALLY liked the bike except for that one issue. Guess I'll wait 'till it's time to trade in the '03 K1200RS and go for the new version of the RT, as it sounds like this would one very expensive modification. But I gotta tell ya I sure do like the way the older ones look.

Thanks again for the comments.

Jim
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2006, 12:33 pm
Enthusiast

I live in the N GA mountains so except for "transiting" to the next set of twisties, seldom use 6th. Also, for me the bike is seldom below 5K rpm so I keep it "busy". I have found that 6th is a real nice gear for freeways etc. Much better mileage and less oil consumption and the bike runs quieter. The only real compromise is that you won't have enough torque to do a fast pass without downshifting. Roll-on acceleration is no problem. And the bike will do 3 digits without complaint. I seriously doubt that you would object to the gap after you ride the bike for a while. If you want to ride it at a leisurely pace just keep the revs a little higher and forget about 6th. By the way, the motor will sound a little "busy" if you don't wear earplugs...which I always recommend.

One other thing: With the R12RT out for about a year now and the new GT due soon, you will be able to find some really good buys on 1150RTs. And, mine will be one to hit the "sales block" real soon. Also, RT's tend to be set up real well. Good luck!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 8:35 am Thread Starter
Just saying hey

North GA mountains? Where? I grew up in Rome, my best bud (1FASTK) lives in Atlanta, my son is in Suwanee (rides a heavily modified VFR)... I got lost in Ohio 25 years ago chasing a job, and have yet to find my way back home. One of these days....
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 2:30 pm
Enthusiast

Go Bucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMS'K
North GA mountains? Where? I grew up in Rome, my best bud (1FASTK) lives in Atlanta, my son is in Suwanee (rides a heavily modified VFR)... I got lost in Ohio 25 years ago chasing a job, and have yet to find my way back home. One of these days....

I'm actually a Buckeye...OSU 71 and 73. Most of the time in Columbus. Recruited to ATL about 7 years ago but retired (sort of) here in the mountains. Tallulah Falls area...between Clarkesville and Clayton...in the heart of riding heaven! The only problem here is my grocery bills because of all my friends coming to ride and stay with me
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 5:10 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Uh, I can understand the grocery thing. I was sorta going to ask when I could visit! Man you are right in the middle of heaven.

Actually I eat my son's groceries! He owns a restaurant in Suwanee (Crossroad Grille), they also have a restaurant in Flowery Branch.

One of my trips down I'll give you a shout.

Jim Merrell
Canton, OH
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 8:55 pm
Enthusiast

sent you a PM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode