Which one to buy... R1200ST or RT..?? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2006, 1:45 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Which one to buy... R1200ST or RT..??

A couple of questions from a newbe here...
I am a owner of a Aprilia Futura and the bike has been a dream as far as comfort. The engine has been bullet proof. Aside from a alt/charging mod, it has been very maintenance free type of motorcycle (except for the oil changes and such).
I am thinking that when I reach 50K or so miles I want to get something to replace it (mainly do to resale value). We do alot of "Sport Touring" in-as-much, do alot of agressive twisties but still travel some freeways too.
Now I am not to keen on the 06 K-GT (it was on top of my list for 05) and started looking at a R1200RT/ST models.
I guess my question would be....
Is the power pretty good with two up (either model)? We both are not light weights but together with our gear are topping the scales at about 500lbs.
Can one, with pretty good mechanical knowedge, do the service? ie; valves, oil changes and so on?
And if taken to the dealer for service what do they do over and above what a normal guy can do to keep the bike running great.
Is the ST a decent "flat slab" touring bike? And can it be fitted with a cruise control?
And I guess the last question would be is it comfy? I know this is subjective but the SO has to be happy on the back also...
Thanks for any comments... good or bad....
This will be the first BMW motorcycle for me.
Kirk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2006, 6:00 pm

Kirk, I think that the proper answer would be yes to all of your questions, it is a very excellent sport touring motorcycle, very easy to work on and excellent handling.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2006, 7:37 am Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Red face

I would have thought more of you would have something to say....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2006, 10:43 am
Looking for better limits...

I like the GT over both....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2006, 10:57 am
Veteran

tell me why a ST/RT?

Kirk,

If are looking at aggresive sport touring, then I would step away from the RT. Way too big, and I would classify this as a touring bike with a little juice for a little fun. I think you might be looking for either the new GT that should be due out this coming summer (knowing BMW, probably late summer) or a K1200RS that is the best bike in the world! these are sport youring bikes, with an emphasis on sport.

You might be able to find a decent 02-04 K1200GT, which will have everything you asked for. But the ST/RT can be fitted with everything as well. So the erognomics should not be much of a factor. Although, the ST/RT will be a little more comfortable, since it is a touring bike.

As for maintance on the ST/RT, not many people on this board are familar with the R bike maintance. The K bikes are pretty straight forward, the valves are not too difficult. You will notice something about the integrated brakes, they will take some time to familarize yourself with these. All in all, BMW has put the best bike on the road! Do get me wrong, the futura is an excellent bike, but you might enjoy the K1200GT a little better.

Is this enough information, do you want more?

ONON-
Mark

Speed Safe Ya'll

'03 K12RS Black
'04 K12RS Zebra - R.I.P.
'81 R100S
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2006, 1:08 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

I guess I will have to see if a dealer will be able to find a low mileage GT for us. I was not to pleased with the new style of the K/GT comming out this year. At the show I went to in Long Beach, it just seem a bit big... More like a FJR... And with out the bags on.. well it just didn't suit me at all.... I use my Futura with out the bags on occation and find it doesn't look like it needs the bags on, or something is missing....That was why I kinda turned to the R ST/RT. I have seen a couple of RT's out and about and the pilots seem to like them... For what they are of course. I really like the later year GT but didn't want a high mileage bike. So I will have to do my homework...
Any more comments are wellcome of course...
Kirk
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2006, 4:23 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride200mi
I guess I will have to see if a dealer will be able to find a low mileage GT for us. I was not to pleased with the new style of the K/GT comming out this year. At the show I went to in Long Beach, it just seem a bit big... More like a FJR... And with out the bags on.. well it just didn't suit me at all.... I use my Futura with out the bags on occation and find it doesn't look like it needs the bags on, or something is missing....That was why I kinda turned to the R ST/RT. I have seen a couple of RT's out and about and the pilots seem to like them... For what they are of course. I really like the later year GT but didn't want a high mileage bike. So I will have to do my homework...
Any more comments are wellcome of course...
Kirk
Most BMW dealers offer test rides. Take your wife and go try some out. Th enew K isn't at the dealers yet for tests, but they should have an older model GT or RS for you to test ride.
Note the title of this website, explaining the lack of response to your R bike questions..
Try over at BMWSportTouring.com for a larger R bike crowd.

Bob Weis
Astatula, FL
'74 R90S '04 K12RS
www.earplugco.com
You rarely see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office......
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2006, 9:14 pm
Enthusiast

Mark,
Have you ridden an RT? Riders are always shocked by how well they handle. In tight twisties I'd say an RT would outperform the heavier and slower to turn GT. That said, I agree the RT is too big and bulky and prefer the R11xxRS in the boxer lineup. I've done some long rides 2 up on mine and it has plenty of juice. The K-bike excells in straight line power with it's excellent engine. If you're ok with a heavier bike, you'll enjoy it tremendously.

So I'd say it is really a personal choice and you should ride both.

--Jerry

95 R1100RS
00 K1200RS

Living with OAD, one day at a time...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2006, 5:07 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride200mi
And with out the bags on.. well it just didn't suit me at all.... I use my Futura with out the bags on occation and find it doesn't look like it needs the bags on, or something is missing....
Kirk
That's one of the things I like about the current GT, it looks just as good with the bags on or off. I only put the bags on if I'm going away overnight. Cheers.

Mark
2006 Silver/Black K1200R
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2006, 12:58 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Thanks to all for your input. We will be trying out both the R-RT/ST to see what meets our needs. It seems that all dealers we talk to will set us up for a test ride...SWEET.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode