BMW Launches F800S/ST Website - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2006, 8:16 am Thread Starter
Statmaster

BMW Launches F800S/ST Website

31/03/2006 Introducing the new BMW F800 S/ST

BMW Motorrad's new F800 sports middleweight machines are designed to offer serious fun to just about anyone - from commuters to tourers and even those starting out in biking. Having launched new generation contenders in the superbike, enduro, touring and sports touring categories, BMW Motorrad has turned its attention to the sports middleweight class. The F800 features a powerful, torque-rich 800 cc parallel-twin engine (the first in BMW's history), a new suspension system and maintenance-free belt drive. Previously BMW had a gap in its range between the single-cylinder F650 bikes and the 1200 cc Boxers and four-cylinder motorcycles. This has now been filled with the new F800 S and ST models. The 798 cc twin-cylinder machine is available in two versions - the sporty half-faired F800 S (£5,995) and the sports touring orientated F800 ST (£6,495) - both of which are designed to provide a thrilling ride for novice riders and experienced bikers alike.

At the heart of these machines is an all-new 798 cc twin-cylinder engine that produces an impressive 85 hp and a punchy 63lb/ft of torque. A well-balanced combination, enabling the rider to 'surf' the torque curve rather than constantly needing to change up and down the gearbox. This is just one of many factors that will endear the F800 series to all types of rider.

The chassis is as impressive as the engine. Attached to the rear of the aluminium frame is a single-sided swing-arm while the front end uses conventional telescopic forks in place of the Telelever suspension usually fitted to BMWs. This all means a lighter, more straightforward chassis design that will naturally appeal to those more familiar with Japanese or Italian machinery. The aim of producing a light responsive chassis has worked well, as the F800 S only weighs 182 kg dry (187 kg for the ST version.)

To make the F800 S ownership as easy as the rest of the BMW range (while keeping weight to a minimum) the engineers have fitted a belt-drive system. This is far more practical than chain drives common to most bikes, negotiating he need for a chain's regular lubrication and adjustment. It is also lighter than the shaft-drive BMW generally favours.

The F800 S and ST are bold entries into the middleweight category. They will raise the stakes in this important class by matching their competitors abilities whilst adding BMW quality, reliability and ingenuity. Competitively priced, the F800 S and ST motorcycles will be in BMW dealerships from mid-May onwards. A special BMW Finance and Insurance package will also be available for both models.

For further information, enthusiasts can log onto www.seriousfun.com

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2006, 12:14 pm

Any word whether BMW will be selling them in the US? I think I'd like to have a F800ST. Lightweight bikes are more fun in metro area riding than bigger bikes.

Ruben Pastian
Naples, FL USA

2006 K1200GT
2007 R1200GS Adventure
2003 GL1800 Goldwing
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2006, 1:45 pm Thread Starter
Statmaster

I heard it would be October 2006 before we saw them.

The schedule I have heard for all new BMWs this year is:

April - R1200GS Adventure
May - K1200GT
June - R1200S
October - F800S/ST

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2006, 2:08 pm
Lee
Enthusiast

I like it. The 800ST is the best looking of the new bikes.

Lee Fillian
Creston, Iowa
03 K1200RS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode