Anyone into Airheads? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2006, 11:17 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Question Anyone into Airheads?

I had an R80/7 back in the late seventies.....just got an R75/6.....Was wondering if anyone here might be a resident expert. I plan to join the Airhead Club, but was looking for a like mind as well here.

First questions that come to mind....

1. steering damper.....the guy selling it to me said it needed a hydraulic steering damper....I don't recall one on my R80 from way back when, but then I have trouble remembering yesterday...

2. It seems that it may need a new seal on the output shaft of the transmission.....is this a tough job.....I never had to get into the box of my old one...also on this topic.....I heard that venting is critical or this seal may weep again....where is the vent?

3. Are the old Krauser bags and the old Craven bags still available new or must they be dug up on ebay?

That's all for now, but as soon as I pick her up I'm sure I'll have more questions.....thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2006, 7:15 am
Enthusiast

Far from an expert, but I still own and ride a '76 R75/6. Mine has a steering dampner and I never use it. Keep it a 0 setting. As for leaks have not had any problems except a pushrod seal. Fun bike to ride. Always remember you do not have any brakes, well maybe a little.

Wow I didn't know BMW made motorcycles, Yeah I think Honda does too.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2006, 3:04 pm
Enthusiast

I never paid much attention to Airheads until I decided to start racing WERA Vintage a couple years ago.
Now I have 2 rolling frames, 3 engines, 4 transmissions, 3 final drives........and shelves of parts I don't use.

steering damper- 70's era bikes, early ones had a friction damper, later they had a hydralic damper. On a street airhead, the damper is most effective as a devise to mask other problems, wheel out of true/balance etc.

transmission output seal- the seal itself is no big deal IF you pull the gearbox and get it on the bench. the BIG problem is removing and replacing the tapered output flange and torqueing the big nut to 160 ft lbs. This is Critical!

tranny vent- the 6mm bolt (10mm wrench) that secures the speedo drive is drilled as a tranny vent. On a streetbike, make sure the very small hole does not get plugged with crap. This vent is insufficient on a racebike, I learned that the hard way. Now I remove the entire speedo drive and machine a fitting to connect 1/2" vinyl tubing to my catchcan.

bags- I ebayed a set that came with a parts bike I bought. There are guys making a living parting out motorcycles and selling on ebay. Some airhead stuff brings top dollar, like good bags and nice body parts, Ebay is your friend. IIRC Bob's BMW sells some repro-bags (and other parts) for the restorer types.

Mike Kelly

Triple M Engineering

K12RS

Stanley, NC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2006, 3:56 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Responses

Thanks for the responses......sound advice......I might have to get another, as this can become addictive.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2006, 6:18 pm

A warning about the airheads group. Airheads are an addiction.

In time you will start quoting Oak, and Snowbum ... and yes even Cuda.

You will realize that for 2,000 dollars you can buy another, and another, and another.

They are like peanuts you can not stop!!!

You will mumble about the 2,000 dollar "O" ring in your sleep. And often awake in a cold sweat. :p

And for the most part all of the pieces from one airhead to another are interchangeable!!! EEEK!!!

And when your garage is full and your wife is complaining about no where to park her car ... your world will break down and confess your problem ... but will sneak around on weekends and just keep buying and buying and buying.

Don't ask me how I know ...

:wtf
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2006, 6:22 pm
Addict

only a bit

My first bike, back in January, was a red R1100R with 2,000 miles on it. I sold it for a few dollars more than I bought it with 6k on the clock. Loved the bike. Didn't have to work on it a bit.

Good luck with your new bike!

Gravity
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2006, 11:55 am
Rookie

Quote:
My first bike, back in January, was a red R1100R with 2,000 miles on it.
But the R1100 is an Oilhead.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode