I Love my ST - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2005, 1:14 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Smile I Love my ST

Of course I have loved most of my bikes. The ST is light, fast, and gets great gas mileage. Not as electric smooth as the K, but at 505lbs wet, it sure seems light. And storage space with full size bags on both sides. I can actually put my tent, thermarest, and sleeping bag in one bag and have the whole other bag available. The lowest I have ever gotten with gas mileage is 43mpg. Normally get 48 - 55 mpg. I thing that is pretty good. BMW got the fuel management down right on this bike. Yes the headlight looks like something from the F-117 Stealth Fighter, but with 2 H-4s it does light up the road nicely. BMW got a lot of things right on this bike. It is just plain fun to ride.

Douglas Shonley
Sturgis, SD

90 Moto Guzzi California
95 Kawasaki 600 Ninja
05 BMW R1200ST
07 Suzuki M109R
08 Kawasaki 650 KLR
08 Piaggio 400 MP3
08 BMW K1200GT

When you live in the Black Hills you need your options
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 11:00 am
"Hey Y'all"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas911
..........at 505lbs wet,...........
Same as our ex-Ducati ST. If only the ST fairing would work for me, but my knees hit the crease at the sides of the tank. No way I could ride one. Funny, I fit a 999.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2005, 7:15 am
Enthusiast

Really like the ST

If I was going to trade in my GT, I would go for the R1200ST. Unlike many others, I feel it is the best looking of all the new models. I haven't test rode any of the new bikes, but sitting on the ST reminds me of my GT. I like the light weight because I always travel two lane roads, and avoid interstates. I can see it as the best curve bike. The 110 hp & lightweight should be plenty to propel me through the twisties. I am sure the new KS & KR are plenty powerful, and they are nice looking, but they just don't do it for me. I like to sport tour, and don't feel they would be that good for touring. I am sure the R/RT would be good but again, feel the ST would suit me better because of the seating position & weight. Don't know what I will think of the new K/GT, will wait & see. Just don't think I need 150 plus hp to sport tour on two lane roads. In my opinion, the new K's just aren't the bike the brick RS/GT's are when it comes to sport touring. I am happy with my 03 GT though, and will probably ride what I got for some time for now.

Enjoying The Ride. Eddie Layton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2005, 1:51 pm

I picked up my R1200ST March 29 and now is approaching 17,000 miles, truly a fantastic bike. I have added a full Remus system, head pipes and can at the 49er this summer, easly hits the rev limiter in 6th even at 8,000 ft elevation, ran 144.4 at Bonneville, very happy with Pilot Roads and have absolutely no chicken strips. Don't add oil between changes at between 4 and 5,000 miles, used Mobil 1 15/50 Synthetic since 4,700 miles.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2005, 12:18 pm
Site Historian

We've had our ST since April and really enjoy the bike. I've ridden it some when riding alone, but for the most part it's the two of us, wife on the ST and me on the K-S. I really think the ST has a place on these boards since it does occupy that little niche as a do-it-all sport-tourer.

As we ride togther and stop at different places, it's interesting to notice that the ST seems to get most of the stares. The K-S, I think, while good-looking just doesn't seem to have that Star-Wars quality of the ST. The non-riding public will gaze at the front, study the side and one individual actually touched the headlight (bugs and all!).

At our monthly BMW club meeting last October at the Southsound dealership, we were approached continually with questions by those attending the meeting.

It is kind of funny to me; you'ld think the slightly insane K-S would have captured the more fun and whacky styling rather than it's more mainstream looks. While the ST, which is the pen-ultimate rational motorcycle that does everything so well, sport, tour, errands, you name it might have been blessed with more conventional styling.

I am still amazed when I ride the ST just how wonderful this machine really is; it's just the right weight, just the right suspension, wheelbase, so light at slow speeds, great brakes, terrfic and smooth tranny, and the engine is now the perfect boxer engine with just the right amount of hp, torque, linear run thru the rev range; terrific fuel economy and fuel capacity, those amazing cases, perfect 180 sporttouring rear tire, and the all the adjustibility in the seat, bars, and windscreen. And that windscreen is just the right size and balanced for smooth wind management. And six different and entertaining two-tone color schemes in just the right colors. (I haven't heard anyone say they want a black one with all these choices in colors!)

Interesting, though, with all of its goodness, the bike sells slowly. Why? It's the only boxer with a slightly forward lean - and then there's that styling that everyone on this thread appreciates, but others don't dare consider. And what's really kind of funny is that my wife, who likes the ergos, would like to have the pegs an inch or so further back! But, I do wonder, though, if BMW pricing policy saw the ST at, say, a $2000 discount to the R12RT, how it would fair in the marketplace; especially when you consider that most potential customers interested in a more sporty bike seem to be more frugal than their touring counterparts.

Miles
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2005, 11:27 pm
Bry
Enthusiast

Hell... I keep seeing familiar faces in forums!

But yeah, the ST is the closet bike I've had to my mighty KRS! the way you sit in, the comfort over miles... but it's lighter!

(close to same top speed to! )

Bry
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2005, 8:56 am

This old R100RS rider could be coaxed to move from my beloved KGT back to this lighter, and just about as fast twin ST. This bike has just about the same power/weight ratio as the GT doesn't it? I've ridden one once at the demo day's last fall. Very sweet handling. I'd like to figure out how to get more time on one with about 6k miles on the ODO to gauge smoothness compared to the 1100-1150 twins. That issue drove me to the butter smooth K12. I also am unsure that I'd want to give up "e-cruise" on those long runs after my GT experience. NO the RT is a poor alternative due to lower back issues.

Looks? The headlight is not my issue. If you view the machine from the side there is an interesting "opening" below the lower part of the fairing between the front of the engine and the front wheel. The missing line from the fairing to the bottom of the engine front bugs me.

Oh well, nothing is perfect. I also dislike the rear view of my GT...

--_--

Last edited by ksgrasslander; Nov 13th, 2005 at 9:15 am.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2005, 8:00 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgrasslander
Oh well, nothing is perfect. I also dislike the rear view of my GT...
I'm not thrilled with rear view of my GT either, with the bags off anyway (which is how I ride it 95% of the time). Reminds me of a lion with a large mane. I guess the "mane" does offer some wind and weather protection but I never felt I needed it when riding my old VFR....and don't really think I need it now. Should have a front more like the S....in terms of width anyway.

Love the looks of the bike from all other angles tho.

About the ST, I quite like the bike except for those funny looking metal things sticking out of the sides

Mark
2006 Silver/Black K1200R
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2005, 10:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles_Miller
Interesting, though, with all of its goodness, the bike sells slowly.
Speaking of which, has anyone heard anything re R1200St for 06?

I've heard a rumor that I don't want to spread before I get a confirmation.

Bruno
Montreal, Canada
Gerbing Heated JACKET LINER Review
http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides/product_evals/gerbing/liner.htm
:
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2005, 5:01 pm

Rumor is true

The rumor is true. No more R1200ST in North America. (Not sure about the rest of the world) It's a shame since this is one great bike. Don't think BMW gave it enough time to develop a following. Will definitely be a collectible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode