BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

No whining servos?

5K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  cobbler 
#1 ·
Hi all,

First post as proud new owner of 2004 K1200GT, so bear with me if answer seems obvious.

Bike has ABS, and also EVO servo assistance I presume, just the same as my previous R1150RT. But I've just realised, when I'm sat at lights with brakes on there's no whining noise coming from the servo. The R1150 used to make so much noise under these conditions that car passengers would turn and stare! Have they developed a new, quieter servo? Or is it in a different place? New bike has a lot fewer Km on the clock, which is maybe a reason?

Other than that I'm enjoying the extra oomph on motorways, but not the extra weight when pushing it round, or the loss of storage capacity. I see that some BMW customs don't change - like spending 5 minutes filling that last section of the fuel tank!

Talking of fuel filling, last year I saw a couple on a Harley pull into a fuel station and the female passenger get off and light up while hubby/boyfriend filled the tank! :wtf I shouted at her, but when she just stared I decided to move pronto. Wonder if they're still alive ...

Happy riding,

S

See less See more
#2 ·
My 04 RS used to whine. I don't know if it was LOUD, but you could tell if I pulled in the brake handle as opposed to using the foot brake.
I tried NOT to use the servo brake sitting at stops or in bumper-to-bumper traffic because the servo will drain your battery. You could end up with less braking or a bike that will not start until the battery recharges.
Excuse me if you already knew this.
Enjoy the ride. It's a great bike.

#5 ·
slampo said:
[snip]But I've just realised, when I'm sat at lights with brakes on there's no whining noise coming from the servo. [snip]
Hi "S"; well my 03 model certainly whines. If the servos don't whine quite loudly then (IMHO) they're not working; and if they're not working you're not getting the braking you need.

However, you didn't say that the breaks didn't work? Did they ?

#7 ·
Servo noise

I don't even pay attention to mine. I found out about this characteristic the first day I brought it home. Since they're part of the brake system as it is, as long as the brakes are working properly, then that's all that matters.

#8 ·
Some good points here. I'd better do a comparison footbrake only and handlebar also. Does the linked braking only work on the handlebar lever then? I think that's different to my old RT (which made the same noise whatever you did).

Course, it could be that my earplugs are better than I thought :teeth

#9 ·
I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd chirp in.
I love my 04 GT but the servo noise is obtrusive, especially while holding the bike still on grades, etc., and it's loud enough that it makes the bike sound like somethings wrong with it for Gods sake.
I don't give a third of a fifth what BMW's 'reason' for the noise is, it makes the engineering involved look slip-shod,and from a tactile /sensory point of view it's pathetic.
The brakes do work great, but no, that's not all that matters.What if the bike let out loud farting noises when applying the brakes, would that mean that all that matters is that the brakes work ?
Like I said, I love the bike, the brakes are outstanding, but if a new bike I was considering did the same thing I'd pass on it.
Hey, my previous bike, an ST1300 drove me nuts with it's annoying low-speed"whistle" and that along with it's incredible lack of attention to detail (from Honda !)as far as engine heat goes is a big reason I bought the GT. Doug

#10 ·
dobent4 said:
I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd chirp in.
I love my 04 GT but the servo noise is obtrusive, especially while holding the bike still on grades, etc., and it's loud enough that it makes the bike sound like somethings wrong with it for Gods sake.
Doug
I guess now would be a bad time to mention the clutch at idle when in neutral? :teeth

I don't notice the whine when I'm on the bike, ear plugs in, helmet on...which is 95% of the time the brakes are applied. But, I'm also due for a hearing test (at my age???), and that may explain part of it.

#12 ·
Servo

chuckwilmot said:
I had an '03 RS, which is the same bike with some cosmetic differences. Mine had a decidedly loud brake servo whine if I used the brake with the ignition on but engine off. With the engine running, I never heard a whine at all.
I'm with you on this on Chuck. Hey Slampo don't worry, you'll know when it NOT working. :yeow:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.