BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

K1000RS Superbike

9K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  saba 
#1 ·
#2 ·
BMW Motorrad announces entry into Superbike World Championship for 2009.

Munich. BMW Motorrad is opening a new chapter in road racing. Peter Müller, Vice President Development and Model Lines BMW Motorrad, stated at the Mondial du Deux Roues Motorcycle Show in Paris on Friday,
September 28th:

“In 2007 BMW returned to road racing with the sports boxer after more than 50 years. In 2008 we will continue our activities in the Endurance category. At the same time we will be preparing our entry into the Superbike World Championship in 2009 with great intensity.”

More detailed information on the motorcycle concept and the structure of the team will be publicised in good time.

#5 ·
i think they have to have the bike out before they race it. new rules in wsbk say yes.

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2007/Sep/e/n070927d.htm

this is from the same site.....it says on top bmw in 08...then says in 09 so i dunno, id think though if we dont start seeing pics of this bike ...itll be in 09

Sprechen Sie Brittania: BMW & Triumph To Race WSBK In 2008/2009
beemer in superbike, triumph in supersport
by dean adams
Wednesday, October 03, 2007
The production-based World Superbike series showed off two coups last weekend.

First, that BMW will race the WSBK series in 2009. While your first thoughts might be why your dad's motorcycle company is now racing Superbikes, actually the BMW effort is already well-respected and garnering interest. BMW clearly has experience running race teams the world over--albeit on four wheels, but they will be a welcome participant in WSBK.

That followed news breaking that Triumph signed a deal for Stefano Caracchi's former NCR team to race the Brit-bikes in the World Supersport series next season. Triumph did race Supersport in 2004 with V&M.

These are heady announcements from the WSBK series, what with BMW perpetually bandied about as a future MotoGP constructor. Does BMW still have a future in MotoGP? Luca Cadalora and Jeremy McWilliams both tested some type of BMW MotoGP bike and the world's press predicted BMW entering the series in 2007. That, of course, never happened. Instead BMW raced the world endurance series.

As one wag put it: BMW can race MotoGP or with the same capital investment they can race World, US and British Superbike championships.

As a company the new Triumph has been able to sell warehouses full of bikes without going world championship racing, so the announcement that second-generation team owner Stefano Caracchi's well-vested team will front the British outfit is a serious effort indeed.

#6 ·
#7 ·
No, they didn't know what the price would be - but my guess is more than the K1200R but who knows? I tried to pump some info out of a senior BMW exec at Bonneville but he wouldn't talk - guess I didn't poor enough alcohol into him, damn. :teeth

#9 ·
Price was brought up on Shiva's site a month or so ago.

The General was saying 12.5-15K.

I couldn't believe it!

For Ohlins, traction control, V4 engine with 190hp?!?!

If that's the case, where does the line start.

#13 ·
Making the rounds on the other forums...

It's officially official. The officially official announcement was officially made in an official press release officially October 23 that BMW will officially be forming an official Superbike team to officially participate in the offiicial 2009 WSB season.
Officially.

Get off your asses and get us a real track bike!

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/s...mw-confirms-worldsuperbikeplans/?&R=EPI-96566

#15 ·
Again, more internet rumor and innuendos...

http://motojournal.blogspot.com/2007/11/bmw-superbike-latest-news.html

German magazine "PS" reports about a mysterious encounter during a racetraining in spain: a strange crew, heavy wired actual japanese superbikes, laptops everywhere and a stealth-bike which was wearing a R6-aftermarket fairing. This had to be a test-session of BMWs upcoming superbike, let's call it K1000RR!
R6 fairing? Yes – so this block has to be terriying narrow for a full liter-engine, maybe this could be a hint for a revolutionary camshaft drive (from behind the cylinder-bank?). The outer appearance of the bike was rather conventional, no Tele- or Paralevers at front- or backend, aluminium perimeter frame, chain drive.
As BMW is always keen on being different we can probably expect (next to a very small, light and strong bike) the most sophisticated electronics ever on a serial bike: what about a real electronic traction control and race ABS? The know-how is surely there. BMW is aiming for a "190/190" power-to-weight-ratio, and eyewitnesses in spain saw a fast and strong bike which seemed to be nailed to the track surface in every situation. And which was about 1.5 seconds quicker than the other bikes...

#20 ·
I read somewhere not till 2010. From the VP of one of the departments of BMW motorcycle I think. I'll see if I can dig it up.

I don't think I'm waiting for this one. I mean 190hp/190kg is not a big deal anymore. It certainly won't be a big deal in 2 more years.

The new zx-10r is already at those marks.

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

My plan is to get a used literbike now. No sense in waiting for something that's here already.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.