How do you choose a dealer for service? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 5:15 pm Thread Starter
Riding in company

How do you choose a dealer for service?

What I'm going to ask (in a roundabout way) is whether it's common to buy a bike at one dealership and then have it serviced elsewhere. This comes up because my 600 mile is 100 miles away. The dealer is 80 miles away. The deadline for the ECU swap is 2 months away.

I have been very pleased with the initial transaction. It was made effortless for me to buy a bike with no money at all and to put some apparel (discounted apparel) on the loan as well. What was not in stock were a Tourgard jacket and Streetguard pants. Three weeks ago. Now it's supposed to be coming next week. Also, my temporary tag expires tomorrow and there is no title, much less a plate. Petty yes?, but three weeks. Another (closer) dealer offered several times to get the gear in several sizes to try, and to have it in 2 days. My guys can't figure that out. They say it comes when it comes.

I spoke with service today and and was thoroughly underwhelmed on several levels.

NOW THE QUESTION: Is it out of line to think about other long-term service arrangements? Suppose I go to the closer dealership and book my work? Will they think me an unloyal prick, not to be trusted, and put me on the bottom of every list there is? Or how about Max Cycles, which offers to pick up the bike and deliver even though I'm pretty far away? I'd really like to find someplace which inspires confidence.

That's enough for now. Anything you can tell me will help. Thanks, Bill

BillA
Jersey Shore
K1200RS '04
BSA Victor '68ish
Club Car golf cart '92
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2005, 4:32 pm

Bill,

I always try to establish a relationship with a dealer and it sounds like you wanted to also. Now that things aren't going smoothly, you have two choices:

1) Try to repair the relationship. Talk to the owner or management and explain your feelings. Emphasize that you are not trying to get anyone in trouble and don't want him to chew anyones ass so that they resent you everytime you come in. If he is a good manager, he can repair the relationship and correct the employee(s) that have damagaed it. Based on how this goes, you may not have a choice but to choose item 2 and, no, it would not be out-of-line!

2) Find another dealer. Again, to talk to the owner or management and explain why you are looking for a new dealer and what your concerns are. On-going service and accessories can make many more dollars for a dealer than the initial purchase, so, a smart dealer will gladly accept you and not treat you as a second class citizen.

The people that really lose out are the ones that hop from dealer to dealer and hammer them to save every cent. They never develop a relationship with anyone. My experience is that if you do develop a relationship and always treat them as something special, then they will respond back to you. Sometimes this even equates to preferential treatment such as expedited service, better loaners and even discounts. My dealer has given me 10% off here, 15% there, added fluids for free or given me some small item....all without asking. They have my loyalty and they know it.

Randy
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2005, 7:07 pm

Bill, if you don't get anywhere with your current dealer, try Cross Country BMW in Metuchen. I've been treated very well the times I've been in there. They're just off exit 2A on 287 north. According to BMW's website, ther're just 22.5 miles from Rumson.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2005, 7:45 am

Service

Bill:

Ditto, go to Cross Country. Their service department is the best, and they have one of the top customer sat. ratings in the country. I've had my 2001 RS serviced their since new, and never a problem. They also have a very good assortment of clothing includinng BMW and after-market brands.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2005, 3:48 pm
ROB
We're zoned for what ? cool !

And they certainly know how to treat a female impersonator.

Nah, not really. But I broke down on the NJ Turnpike several years ago (near Hightstown) on a Sunday afternoon, and the next morning had the bike and myself delivered to Cross Country. They were very helpful, first in promptly figuring out that they could not fix it right away, and then secondly in helping me get a rental car so I could continue my trip (from NC to ME). Then when I picked up the bike on the way home, they were very reasonable. They didn't fix the bike, but they diagnosed it as a seized engine. I told them to quit right then, and I'd take it home and address it there. But they could have sort of held it for ransom, and they did not do that. Very nice people.

1990 K75S
2009 R1200GS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode