Country Rode Motowerks refusing warranty work - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2007, 5:31 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Thumbs down Country Rode Motowerks refusing warranty work

Country Rode Motowerks of Rochester NY is refusing any and all warranty work by me.
The owner stated that because I did not give them all 5s on all customer satisfaction surveys that they will no longer honor any warranty work I request at that dealership. They are fine with non-warranty work (ie, paid cash and no customer satisfaction survey)
Seems pretty crappy of the owner (where this is coming from) to not honor the warranty of a bike that they sold in the first place. I opened a complaint with BMW-NA and it basically just goes on file. Since dealerships are independently owned and operated, BMW can not require the dealerships to honor warranty work/claims.

It started pretty much the day I bought my KR, and a lot of the dysfunction stems back to this post. http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5941
The owner does not like getting ‘slammed on the internet’ and left me a voicemail telling me to ‘be careful if I slander them on the internet’

Hey Art, ‘Slander’ is spoken, and ‘Libel’ is written. Get your jargon straight of you try to accuse someone of a crime. Also note that both fall under defamation… In law, defamation is the communication of a statement that makes a false claim, expressly stated or implied to be factual, that may harm the reputation of an individual, business, product, group, government or nation.

It is pretty safe to say that all this is true, and easily proven, so nothing here is a false claim.

After I received that voicemail, I did call the owner and spend 15-20 minutes voicing my concerns and listening to his concerns with the 5 star ratings. I thought we had everything resolved until today then I made an appointment and received a call back telling me they were refusing any warranty work.

The oversight by Country Rode Motowerks reduced my factory warranty by 6 months. After a few weeks of conversation with them, they wrote and signed a letter to me stating ‘they would do what they could’ to urge BMW to honor the expired factory warranty for 36 months from the date of my purchase. How good that letter is, time will only tell, but now that Country Rode Motowerks is refusing all warranty work I request, their letter and their pledge seems to be moot.

Why they didn’t get 5s
A month to get an appointment is not worth a 5

Loud clicking from the bike (possibly an injector) their answer…. Yes, we hear it, we are not sure if that is normal or not, though we have not heard it before… that is not worth a 5

Bike pulls to the right… They put a tech on the bike to stand it up to what ‘he felt’ was straight up and down. Then used something like a protractor to say the bike has a natural 1.5 degree lean, and that is why it pulls to the right…. That is not worth a 5

Bike at times when stopped at a light does not want to go into gear, (not first or second) and rolling it forward or back does not always help… answer…we don’t know what would cause that, we could rip the bike apart and if we find nothing, we can not charge it to BMW, so we did nothing… again, not worth a 5

I don’t recall giving them anything less than a 4, but maybe a 3 after the ‘we can not charge it to BMW’ comment.

Unless they get all 5s, they are not interested in your business.

My next step is to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau

Last edited by Coastie; Jul 10th, 2007 at 5:57 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2007, 5:52 pm
JCW
contributor

That sounds like such bullshit!

It's so wrong for so many different reasons.

If they required you to put 5's on the customer satisfaction report, they should have let you know or worked with you so you could put 5's.

People like that shouldn't have good people's business.

Fuck 'em.

They are losing out of warranty work which they get paid for anyway.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2007, 1:56 pm
Enthusiast

Are you serious in that BMW NA cannot force a dealer to perform warranty work? That's complete crap if so. I remember having a problem with an Isuzu pickup I bought and the local dealer refused to do warranty work because I didn't buy the truck from them. A call to Isuzu regional and that issue was solved.

I cannot believe that a dealer would treat you like that. If he didn't deserve a 5 then he shouldn't get one. I would politely explain to him why you didn't rate him that way and let him know you would be happy to give him high marks if he earns them in the future. If he still refuses then I would again politely tell him that you will no longer do ANY business with him and that you will pass your experience on to anyone within earshot that is thinking of buying from him. He deserves to be out of business.

'03 K1200GT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2007, 5:56 pm Thread Starter
Addict

yep, BMW-NA can not force a dealer to do any work. Nice that BMW offers a 3 year warranty, but can not require anyone to honor it lol

I spent 15-20 minutes on the phone with the owner and went over all the points. In the end, it didn't matter, they didn't get straight 5s, so they don't want my warranty business, and probably after this post, not my cash business either lol

As far as 'earshot' goes, that is why I posted it here among other places.

Last edited by Coastie; Jul 12th, 2007 at 8:07 pm.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2007, 8:37 pm
Veteran

Boy, this sounds familiar.

When I bought my '06 GT I wanted the dealer to install all the accessories. Some I needed to send to them. Others they had.

Well, nearly $1000 of labor later and all the goodies on I thought I was ready to go and I did the next morning. First thing was the mp3 player didn't work through the Autocom they had, sold, and installed. Then I discovered the BMW navigator II+ I bought from them also didn't work through the Autocom. Then I discovered the radar detector I bought and had them install also didn't work through the Autocom.

Needless to say they had a good month to put it all together before I picked it up. i got a call from the salesman and he said "It's all ready to go." So I picked it up and scheduled service one week later as I knew I'd put 600 mile on it by then.

As I was leaving early the next AM I soon discovered nothing, audio wise, was working properly. I stopped at two other dealerships along the way who said the selling dealer screwed up and I needed to take it back to them. Ugh!

So a week later my service rolls around and they have only one mechanic on duty. Service adviser says he cannot have him fix the other guy's mistakes. He tried himself and gots one thing working.

I drove nearly 300 mies home with stuff still not working right. So I paid someone nearly $1000 for nothing other than a learning experience.

Then I get the call from BMW NA on the purchase. I gave them a "2" on satisfaction of the sale and explained why.

Outcome was the selling dealer quit selling Autocom which also gave him a way out of fixing it properly. Nice.

New dealer is far better in the service area so that's good.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2007, 10:49 pm
Enthusiast

Unreal -

This is a dealship to AVOID at all costs.

As a former consultant to the Automotive Dealer industry, I can assure you that this behavior would be classified as business suicide - and the manufacter would come down on the dealer like a ton of bricks.

"What follows is based on actual occurrences. Although much has been changed for rhetorical purposes, it must be regarded in its essence as fact. However, it should in no way be associated with that great body of factual information relating to orthodox Zen Buddhist practice. It's not very factual on motorcycles, either."

Robert Persig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

1985 K100RS (Sold)
2000 323i (Sold)
2003 1150GS (Sold)
2009 528Xi
2004 K1200GT
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2007, 5:56 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastie
...Unless they get all 5s, they are not interested in your business...
Based on your report, getting all 5s is very important to Country Rode Motowerks, so much so, that they are willing to lose your business and risk having the word spread to other potential customers. Why do they care so much about "all 5s"?

When I brought my KGT in for the 600 mile maintenance, I never was asked to complete an evaluation. Is it because I paid for the work?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2007, 8:10 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
Based on your report, getting all 5s is very important to Country Rode Motowerks, so much so, that they are willing to lose your business and risk having the word spread to other potential customers. Why do they care so much about "all 5s"?

When I brought my KGT in for the 600 mile maintenance, I never was asked to complete an evaluation. Is it because I paid for the work?
Probably not. It isn't warranty work. I recall getting surveys, but not with the scheduled service. The first one was due to a warranty replacement of the front shock. Couple of other things until 36k miles, at which time the BMW warranty ended and the extended warranty kicked in. Haven't heard from them since, but I do recall the dealer "discussing" the the upcomming survey with me.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2007, 5:46 am
Veteran

But why is "all 5s" so important to the dealership?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2007, 4:53 pm

Not good,

I work for a BMW car dealer here in the UK and no matter how we get upset we cannot refuse to do warranty repairs as per BMW schedules.

Even though warranty is with the vehicle where you buy it from you actualy take out the warranty with BMW them selves this also includes an approved used vehicle or extra warranty inclusive..........a solicitor would have a field day with this as it is a breach of contract!

This will also cost them lost revenue because all BMW car and bike dealers gain extra money buy carrying out warranty repairs, the more they do the more money they get from BMW....When audit time approaches.......Retail standards etc paperwork will be scrutinised and a short fall on warranty revenue can cost the dealership big bucks in the long run!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode